Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 System Acting Odd Lately

bigbruin
Aspirant

RBK53 System Acting Odd Lately

I have an RBK53 system with the RBR50, 2x RBS50's, and a RBS20 I added later.  The two RBS50's are hardwired back to the RBR50, while the RBS20 uses a wireless backhual.  They have been up and running just over a year with minimal issues.  In December two things happened that may have lead to issues, but since they were simultaneous I am unsure what lead to my problems.

A.  The Armor subscription "auto-renewed".  I say that as the money was taken through Bitdefender's store front, but the service lapsed anyway.  They claimed I chose the wrong product, but since I chose nothing and it auto-renewed, I don't see how I screwed it up.  Took a while to try to resolve with them, and in the end I got a refund and gave up the renewal since it was still showing "Security Off - Expired" in the app and the web interface after they 'helped' me.  I eventually checked out on a new subscription through the Armor app and it is now showing security is on.

B.  I got an email in December about allowing the critical firmware updates to apply, but I wasn't getting any pushed to the devices.  After a couple weeks of checking, and during the whole expired Armor issue I finally saw that the website had V2.7.1.60 for the RB_50s, and 2.6.1.38 for the RBS20.  I applied them, and then the RB-50's wanted to automatically update to 2.7.2.102, which is where they are now.

The issue is that the app and the web interface are hit or miss as to what they will do. Wondering what my best path forward would be, and if a firmware rollback is typical or even allowed...  I have not tried yet, but I have had routers where you could not go backwards. Advice?

The issues, none of which existed before recently:

1. The app and main page of the web interface will show random number of satellites, from 0-3, but I am sure theat the three are all still functioning since my coverage is good and devices hardwired to the satellites stay functional.wr.png
  2. They will show random number of connected devices, between 0-53, with 53 probably being about right, and 0 not being correct since everything seems to be working and with three kids remote learning right now I am sure I would be hearing complaints.
  3. Somewhat randomly it will not load some pages in the router web interface, sometimes with long swirly icons that never go anywhere, and sometimes with a 500 error.
  4. If I try to go to Advanced -> LAN Setup in the web interface to look at the static IP addresses that have been previously set, it will typically load slowly, flash the contents of that page for a split second, and then go to the ADVANCED Home page.
  5. While looking to do a firmware rollback, I found that page is screwed up, showing me with dozens of satellites.  See image below, where the first 4 are real, and yes one is named Squee, but there should be a single Squee.  I didn't capture them all, but by the size of that scroll bar on the right, trust me that list goes on for a while.vr.jpg
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Something I would try since you got v102. I would also NOT enabled Armor after the reset. Setup the system again with out it and check it first. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 3
bigbruin
Aspirant

Hi - Thanks for the ideas.  No, I have not factory reset, and was hoping to not have to go there.  I would need a backup of all the settings, and those pages are some that struggle to load.

The devices are all spread out, most with at least one floor of wood construction in between them.  They had all been working fine, and coverage had been good.  The RBS20 is the most remote, at least 30 feet from the closest other satellite and is currently the only wireless one since I have not routed a wire to it yet. When it is showing in the network map it does bounce between the two other satellites, so maybe 40 feet across one floor - or 30 feet but through one floor.

I have a Netgear CM600 cable modem.

Not sure it really matters, but are the images I attached loading?  They look fine in edit mode, but on the post they are just ! icons.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7