Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 Upload Speed Issue

shrav919
Aspirant

RBK53 Upload Speed Issue

Hello!

I've been user of the RBK53 (1 router + 2 satellites) since October last year and it's safe to say my experience till now has not be been pleasant for a product I paid Rs. 36,000 (~$490) for. 

My device setup is as follows, the wireless backhaul satellite is 20-25 feet away with 1 wall in between and the wired backhaul satellite is on another floor.

The device was working fine(atleast acceptable) till about Feb-March this year when I suddenly started facing issues. I currently have a 200 Mbps download & 200 Mbps upload internet connection but I noticed that I was getting the full download speed (at most times atleast) but my upload speed hardly crossed 80 Mbps. The speeds with the various combinations are given below

• From the main router, if I connect through Wifi I get only 80Mbps upload, but I connect through ethernet I get full 200 Mbps upload
  • From the wireless backhaul satellite, if I connect through Wifi I get only 60Mbps upload, but I connect through ethernet I get only 80 Mbps upload
  • From the wired backhaul satellite I get an acceptable ~200Mbps upload both through Wifi and through ethernet

From the above my conclusion was that the router wireless transmitter has gone kaput and is not able to transmit either directly to my devices and to the wireless backhaul satellite efficiently. But, I noticed that this issue mysteriously disappears once I full factory reset my entire router network, but reappears when then is a power cut (which is frequent in my country). This has me confused as to what the exact issue is.

I doubt my modem is to blame as I do get the full upload speed in a few ways as mentioned above.

I called up my local (Indian) customer care for help and they recommended some changes in settings none of which corrected the issues. And then they raised it up with Netgear support engineering team in the US (I think) who and my case has been open for what is probably a record of 6 months and they still haven't figured out a fix for this. I have tried all the below things:

• Reseting the router and satellites (which as mentioned is a very temporary fix)
  • Changing almost all settings(channels, preamble, CTS/RTS threshold etc.) as recommended by Netgear support
  • Changing my firmware to older versions and to a beta version which was sent to me by Netgear support
  • I've even sent logs from the router and satellite to netgear support

I know this post has been detailed but I just wanted to know if there are others who have experienced this issue and if they have gotten it fixed? I'm just extremely frustrated that such a pricey piece of equipment I bought has been so disappointing. Also, my warranty period gets over today, even though I raised this issue to netgear support half a year ago and my local netgear support guaranteed that they would replace my router if needed I'm still sceptical about the end of my warranty period.

I'll be grateful for any help regarding this issue! Thanks in advance

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

0 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 12
wwlen1
Guide

I too expect that comeone nearby put in a new wifi system and your router switched to a "comparable" mode with a narrower bandwidth.

Look for a wifi analyzer app for your cell phone and see not only how many people are close by, but how wide your transmit channels are.

You will also be able to verify that you have a 5ghz radio signal.
Message 3 of 12
shrav919
Aspirant

Hey! Thank you for your response. Currently there are no significant close networks around me except my Orbi.
Even there one at a point it's significantly weak/far away and on a different channel to mine.

The problem is seen on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

There are several diagnostic steps that are often recommended:

• Connect a computer directly to the ISP modem with an ethernet cable and perform a Speedtest.
    This is (obviously) the maximum possible speed up/down that can be achieved.
    Assume for now that the result is 200/200.
  • Connect the Orbi router to the ISP modem and use the Orbi internal Speedtest, which is found on the web interface (http://orbilogin.net) on the Advanced Tab, under the Setup Menu (Speed Test).
    The Orbi should report should match the test from the modem.
  • Connect a computer directly to one of the Orbi LAN ports with an ethernet cable and repeat the Speedtest.
    With an ISP promising 200/200, this test report should match the first two.
    If it does not match, there is something wrong with the Orbi and it needs to be replaced.
  • Now, connect a device to the Orbi router using WiFi and perform a Speedtest.  My internet plan is 200/10, and my Sony smartphone Speedtest app reports 230/12.
    The device being used to run the Speedtest over WiFi is really critical.  Recently a friend and I were 'testing' his internet connection.  He kept getting 90mb while I was getting 400.  His old smartphone seemed to be the culprit.

I do not want to appear judgemental, but my view is that dealing with any sort of support group is up to the customer.  When I go to the doctor with a complaint (my ear hurts), and they prescribe something (ear drops), if I do not come back in a week and say, "My ear still hurts", as far as they are concerned, the problem is solved.  If Netgear did not get back to you in a week, they are never getting back to you.  After six months, that support ticket has long been closed and forgotten.

That being said, I would contact Netgear again and say, "What the f**k. My warranty is running out and you guys have not solved my problem."

Message 5 of 12
shrav919
Aspirant

Hello! thank you for your response.

The current firmware is V2.7.3.22 which is latest available, and this problem has been firmware version agnostic.
The modem is proprietary and I don't suspect tht to be the issue as I get full speed through wired connections to the NG router
The satellite has 1-2 concrete walls in between so it's too close to the base router 
And neighbouring wifi signals are either non existent or very negligible

Message 6 of 12
shrav919
Aspirant

Hello! Thank you for your response
1) I cant connect directly to my modem as it is PPPoE and needs logging in on the router
2) I have tested the speed on the router login page and I do get 200/200
3) As I have mentioned in the post, an ethernet connection to the base router gives me 200/200 as well
4) Here is where I have an issue, when I connect to the wifi of the base router I get 200/80. and this result is consistent acorss any device I use to run the speed test

Yes, I have been bombarding Netgear with request for updates regarding my case very regularly and I do get calls almost every month from a customer care represntative for either log files, beta firmware versions or settings fixes, so they haven't ghosted me as of now. But I'm not at peace as the problem persists

Message 7 of 12
wwlen1
Guide

You might want to disable the 2.4ghz radio on the router to ensure that you are only connecting to the 5ghz network.

If that doesn't help you can enable the 2.4 and disable the 5ghz.

That way you might be able to see if it's just one radio that's giving the problem.
Message 8 of 12
Keenan95
Aspirant

@wwlen1 wrote:
I too expect that comeone nearby put in a new wifi system and your router switched to a "comparable" mode with a narrower bandwidth.

Look for a wifi analyzer app for your cell phone and see not only how many people are close by, but how wide your transmit channels are.

You will also be able to verify that you have a 5ghz radio signal.

I'm a guessing the new firmware is the cause of the issue as I started facing problems once I upgraded to the 104 update. But I'm still worried because firstly Netgear apparently does not care and hasn't acknowledge the issue and secondly I tried to manually revert the firmware to older versions which didn't work. The lack of Netgear support means I'm not even sure how to officially ask for help or even raise a warranty request because this is not the Netgear Orbi that I expected and experienced a few months back.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You can raise awareness with NG support by opening up a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

You can also send a PM to a forum Moderator as well:

@Blanca_O @DarrenM 

Message 10 of 12
shrav919
Aspirant

Hey @Keenan95 ! Thank you for your response!
It was indeed the 104 update that I suspected that caused it, I clearly remember that particular firmware version. Since then the router hasn't worked properly at all. I'm happy that there is someone who feels its the 104 update that caused it while I'm also angry that this hasn't been fixed! I have raised it with my customer care support and will let you know if there are any updates

Message 11 of 12
shrav919
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can raise awareness with NG support by opening up a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

You can also send a PM to a forum Moderator as well:

@Blanca_O @DarrenM 

Hey @FURRYe38 

I have raised it with Netgear support and as mentioned the ticket has been open for a staggering 6 months with no resolution till date.
I will still try messaging the mods though.

Thanks a lot!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7