Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK53 vs RBK23 or RBK50 with RBs20

hs2019
Tutor

RBK53 vs RBK23 or RBK50 with RBs20

Hi,

Need some advice from some one more learned than me please!

Looking at purchasing the orbi mesh wifi solution for our house. Double story, study (where router will be plugged in) is downstairs at one corner of house. The tvs etc all on other end of the house. im wondering if RBK23 will be good (watch a lot of netflix etc), usually around 3-4 connected devices streaming at once. I was wanting to buy RBK53, but cant find it here in Australia. I was also wondering if RBK50 was sufficient, and if i bought the RBK50 could I buy another RBS20 satellite to add to the RBK50 network? for the upstairs part of the house.

Thanks.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK53 vs RBK23 or RBK50 with RBs20

"Backhaul" is the 5G (high bandwidth) connection between the router and the satellite.  Orbi was designed for people who are unable to run ethernet cables around the building. People who can run wires have been installing WiFi "extenders" for years.

If my math is correct, 320sqm is about 2,900 sq. ft. (But, is the 320sqm spread over two floors?)   To reach the satellite, a signal has to pass through two brick walls and whatever else is in the way.  I got an Orbi because my situation is similar to yours. Conventional wisdom is "put the WiFi in the center of the house."  Well, good luck with that.  My internet modem is in the upstairs corner of the 2nd floor and I was not getting good WiFi coverage downstairs at the other end.  I put the Orbi satellite downstairs about 30 ft. (10m?) away from the router and now I have great coverage upstairs and downstairs in a 2,000 sq. ft. house.  Others on this forum report covering even larger homes.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Size and construction of the house is the critical factor.  i.e. the distance between the Orbi router and the satillite and what lies in the path between them.

Yes, any satellite can be connected to the Orbi RBR50 router.  The RBS50 satellite produces the highest backhaul speed (a) because the backhaul radios and antennas are entirely separate from the "fronthaul" radios and antennas, and (b) because the antennas themselves are more powerful.  So, if the RBK50 (one router, one satellite) works OK for downstairs, it is possible to run other satellites upstairs.

It is really annoying that Netgear does not distribute the full range of Orbi products to every continent.  Have no idea why not.

Message 2 of 5
hs2019
Tutor

Thanks for responding.

House is simple wood framed construction, brick veneer they call it. House size approximately 320sqm laid out in roughly an L shape. Study is at the end of the small line in the "L" and the tvs etc are at the tip of "L" if that make sense.

What does backhaul actual mean and for the average punter is worth worrying about?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

"Backhaul" is the 5G (high bandwidth) connection between the router and the satellite.  Orbi was designed for people who are unable to run ethernet cables around the building. People who can run wires have been installing WiFi "extenders" for years.

If my math is correct, 320sqm is about 2,900 sq. ft. (But, is the 320sqm spread over two floors?)   To reach the satellite, a signal has to pass through two brick walls and whatever else is in the way.  I got an Orbi because my situation is similar to yours. Conventional wisdom is "put the WiFi in the center of the house."  Well, good luck with that.  My internet modem is in the upstairs corner of the 2nd floor and I was not getting good WiFi coverage downstairs at the other end.  I put the Orbi satellite downstairs about 30 ft. (10m?) away from the router and now I have great coverage upstairs and downstairs in a 2,000 sq. ft. house.  Others on this forum report covering even larger homes.

Message 4 of 5
hs2019
Tutor

Thank you for explanation, that make sense.

Yes that size is spread over the 2 floors. I think I will opt for the RBK50, its stronger antenna might be want I need to ensure a stronger signal strength and if need be get an extra RBS20 satelitte for the upstairs area.

I currently have the R6300 model and feel like its starting to show its age. The signal is able to reach certain areas but sometimes I think it struggles with all the connected devices.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7