Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK53 vs RBK43 backhaul range

JulesWilko
Tutor

RBK53 vs RBK43 backhaul range

Heya there folks,

Does anyone know if the range of the backhaul is significantly different between the RBK53 and RBK43?

I'm not too bothered about speed as the internet connectivity is only 10mbps to the premises, however, it's an old farm type house that's kind of three houses knocked and joined together.

Currently served with a Linksys Velop that's always having drop offs of the third unit no matter where I seem to place it.

So hoping that the Orbi will let me do parental controls *and* have a more reliabile connection to the third hop which is naturally where the kids room is.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK53 vs RBK43 backhaul range

What is the distance that your trying to cover? I have a 5000sq ft house and one satellite at the opposite end of the house. About 40ft between router and satellite. I presume I might be able to go a bit more however don't need to.

If your trying to get far distances, then you may need an out door kind of set up or run buried CAT6 ethernet cable to the remote locations.

Message 2 of 9
JulesWilko
Tutor

It’s more about stone walls rather than distances...
Hence me wondering about the power to go through them.

No chance of doing cable runs either...

Or powerline (3 separate supplies )
Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, you'll have problems there as awell.

You might try some out door orbi Satellites if there is any external exposures.

You may need some business grade repeaters maybe. I would look into running ethernet cabling if at all possible.

The orbi systems are generally the same in regards to power. IT's the connection rates that differ between them.

Message 4 of 9
JulesWilko
Tutor

Yeah - Well - That's the question / query - Are the backhaul powers the same... or not? 

Or should I just hit Netgear directly...

Message 5 of 9
ClintoKL
Apprentice

I cant answer your question technically, sorry. BUT i can tell you from experience in my house with walls like faraday cages that the RBK40's couldnt do the job but the RBK50's could! Dont waste your time with the 40's or 30's. I tried the 40's and sent them back and i have RB30 wall plug and its rubbish.

The 50's absolutely get the job done. (sorry i dont have a technical answer but real life experience may help you).

Message 6 of 9
JulesWilko
Tutor

ClintoKL, that is perfect.

Better answer than "the spec says" is real world experience.

And that's what I was trying to avoid, faffing with a RBK43 and finding it flaky.

Well, no answer from Netgear officially - So - You'll win the question 😄

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Give the 50 a try and let us know if this works for you...

Message 8 of 9
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you have a challenging RF environment (e.g. exterior walls, lots of walls, etc), the 4x4 backhaul on the 50 series will do better than the 2x2 radios.  In short, more radios & antennas will either translate into longer reach at same speed or faster speed at same distance.  

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7