Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53 vs RBK53S Vs RBK53S-100NAS

wchp
Luminary

RBK53 vs RBK53S Vs RBK53S-100NAS

So on a previous thread a Netgear moderator responds to a question on the difference between the RBK53 vs RBK53S by stating the S version adds 1yr of Armor firewall but deletes the USB port. Costco sells a kit listed as RBK53S-100NAS which on the hardware details section lists both 1yr of Armor AND a USB port. Is the RBK53S-100NAS a Costco ONLY item with the USB port?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
tagteam
Virtuoso

@wchp wrote:

So on a previous thread a Netgear moderator responds to a question on the difference between the RBK53 vs RBK53S by stating the S version adds 1yr of Armor firewall but deletes the USB port. Costco sells a kit listed as RBK53S-100NAS which on the hardware details section lists both 1yr of Armor AND a USB port. Is the RBK53S-100NAS a Costco ONLY item with the USB port?

Did you look at the image under Product Details in the Costco listing? I am a Costco member and I bought my RBK53 system from Costco over 2 years ago and the router and satellites each have a USB port.

Somewhere along the line Netgear removed the USB port and now it appears that "refreshed" product is what Costco is selling at this time. If you look at the current Costco image (back of the product), you will see that there are no USB ports.

Message 2 of 12
wchp
Luminary

@tagteam wrote:

Did you look at the image under Product Details in the Costco listing? I am a Costco member and I bought my RBK53 system from Costco over 2 years ago and the router and satellites each have a USB port. 

Yes, I see the images, but in the Product Details if you click the "+" symbol next to specifications it lists "

Number of USB Ports   -    1
And the model lists -100NAS which would imply the ability to attach storage that would then be network addressable
 So I am wondering if Costco is now selling a third version specific for them and the description is correct and they just used the Netgear RBK53S Stock photos OR if Costco has the "Specifications" wrong????

Message 3 of 12
tagteam
Virtuoso

I understand and I did read the specs, which I believe are wrong. In fact, if you look at the Technical Specifications all the way at the bottom of the Product Details, you will see that there is no USB port listed under Ports. I think Costco just messed up (I could be wrong, though).

Message 4 of 12
tagteam
Virtuoso

After further review, it appears that I am not wrong. The following is a link to Netgear's data sheet for the RBK53S (no USB port shown).

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/orbi/RBK53Sv2.pdf

Message 5 of 12
wchp
Luminary

Funny thing... I called Netgear pre-sales support and they told me that Costco has their own models and that the RBK53S-100NAS does have a USB port ("on the router"), but, I'm still not convinced... So I ordered one from Costco. It will be here on Friday and cant wait to see what is in the box ! ? I'll report back then.

Message 6 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Maybe I missed something in all the excitement over whether there IS or "is not" a USB port on this particular model.   For at least the past two years people have been asking, "how do I attach a USB disk drive to the Orbi?" and the answer has always been, "NO. NO. and NO."  Although "ReadyShare" is a Netgear feature, it does NOT work on the Orbi.

Did I mess this feature suddenly appearing?

Message 7 of 12
wchp
Luminary

That is the second part of my curiosity. To date, Netgear routers with a model# ending in -100NAS has been a router that supports a USB shared as network storage. Netgear Pre-Sales support "confirmed" that Costco has their own model and stated it has a USB port. The question I have is there actualy such a model (Costco specific) and does it support "ReadyShare"?

@CrimpOn wrote:

Maybe I missed something in all the excitement over whether there IS or "is not" a USB port on this particular model.   For at least the past two years people have been asking, "how do I attach a USB disk drive to the Orbi?" and the answer has always been, "NO. NO. and NO."  Although "ReadyShare" is a Netgear feature, it does NOT work on the Orbi.

Did I mess this feature suddenly appearing?

Message 8 of 12
tagteam
Virtuoso

@wchp wrote:

The question I have is there actualy such a model (Costco specific) and does it support "ReadyShare"?

I guess we'll find out but I'll be shocked if (a) it has a USB port and (b) it supports ReadyShare. Judging by what appears to be the same system from Amazon, it sure doesn't seem as if either is the case. As a side note, it really looks like Netgear has thrown in the towel on ReadyShare for the Orbi since even the new WiFi 6 model (RBR850 or whatever) doesn't support it.

https://www.amazon.com/Netgear-System-Advanced-Protection-RBK53S-100NAS/dp/B07RXNRZ4L/ref=sr_1_1?key...

Message 9 of 12
wchp
Luminary

@tagteam wrote:

@wchp wrote:

The question I have is there actualy such a model (Costco specific) and does it support "ReadyShare"?

I guess we'll find out but I'll be shocked if (a) it has a USB port and (b) it supports ReadyShare.

Honestly I will surprised too. Oddly New Egg list the -100NAS model and lists a USB port in the specifications as well.

Message 10 of 12
wchp
Luminary

The RBK53S-100NAS does NOT have a USB port and therefor no way to support ReadyShare.

Picked up the "new" model from Costco today and the are no USB ports to be found.

Message 11 of 12
tagteam
Virtuoso

@wchp wrote:

The RBK53S-100NAS does NOT have a USB port and therefor no way to support ReadyShare.

Picked up the "new" model from Costco today and the are no USB ports to be found.

Thanks for confirming that. Obviously, the "NAS" at the end of the product number is a bit misleading, but, whatever.

So, it appears that unless you can find a reseller that is selling older systems, you're going to get the "v2" router and satellite(s).

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7