Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK53S - how to manually select which router/satellite to connect a specific device to.

gobananasnet
Apprentice

RBK53S - how to manually select which router/satellite to connect a specific device to.

RBK53S - I would like to know how to manually select which router/satellite to connect a specific device to. How does one do this, or is it a missing needed feature? For me it is a necessary feature.

I have numerous devices, including security system and cameras, as well as so many other devices. Some seem to connect to a device farther away resulting in a weaker signal, especially security cameras do that. If I could manually select which router/satellite it would connect to this would be resolved. Turning off for a half an hour or so and rebooting the cameras, etc. does not fix the issue for some crazy reason. I really need this manualy configuration feature.

Thank you

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK53S - how to manually select which router/satellite to connect a specific device to.

Something that isn't available on Orbi. 

Message 2 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

Re: RBK53S - how to manually select which router/satellite to connect a specific device to.

@gobananasnet wrote:

RBK53S - I would like to know how to manually select which router/satellite to connect a specific device to. How does one do this, or is it a missing needed feature? For me it is a necessary feature.

I have numerous devices, including security system and cameras, as well as so many other devices. Some seem to connect to a device farther away resulting in a weaker signal, especially security cameras do that. If I could manually select which router/satellite it would connect to this would be resolved. Turning off for a half an hour or so and rebooting the cameras, etc. does not fix the issue for some crazy reason. I really need this manualy configuration feature.

Thank you

I agree that feature would be good for stationary devices such as TVs, PCs, Printers, Stereos, etc.. It would insure they would always connect to the proper node. 

I just went through the same scenario with several devices. My solution was to shut down and restart the PCs and other devices in question, then go to WIFI settings, forget the network and reconnect. I rebooted the cameras that were having the same issue and they connected to the proper node. One TV kept defaulting to 2.4Ghz, when it fully supported Ghz. I soft rebooted the TV and it connected to 5G.

Message 3 of 5
gobananasnet
Apprentice

Thanks. Unfortunately for us that approach did not work. They still keep connecting to the wrong sattelite / node. Ugh!

Message 4 of 5
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@gobananasnet wrote:

Thank you

Yes, there's a way to force Orbi to do exactly this via telnet cmd.  Check out this thread for pros/cons before proceeding.  If you still decide to move forward, check out the telnet cmds/instructions in this post.   It works for me, YMMV.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7