Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK53s Router drops modem connection

wrleeii
Aspirant

RBK53s Router drops modem connection

After 6 mo,the RBR50 router (part of the RBK53s package) has suddenly started dropping its connection several times a day. I either have to push its Sync button or when that doesn't work, power cycle it to get a connection again. Many times it will drop and it will resync itself after a few minutes without my pushing the sync button. I have not updated the firmware recently (v2.3.5.30), so I do not know what has triggered this behavior. The modem it's connected to is fine; I have not needed to power cycle it. 

Frustrating! Should I look at replacing it?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Fortunately, Netgear provides a one year hardware warranty with Orbi.  So, if actually has "gone bad", they should replace it.  The task is to demonstrate that it has in fact malfunctioned (not easy, since it actually does work for hours at a time).

This is the first I have heard of using the "Sync" button to restore a modem connection.  As far as I know, the Sync button has only one purpose: to connect a device TO the Orbi (either an Orbi satellite or some user device).  In that case, a sync button has to be pressed on both devices to link them.  Given that the sync button appears to restore the modem connection for you, I am mystified.

As the Orbi does not typically have to be powered off, my first step would be to look at the Orbi log file for the period when the modem connection went down.  That is on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Administration, Logs.

Does the "ring light" at the top of the Orbi indicate anything when the modem connection goes down?

Here is what the Orbi lights are supposed to do: https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The most current FW version is v2.5.1.8. Stable and working for me.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@wrleeii wrote:

After 6 mo,the RBR50 router (part of the RBK53s package) has suddenly started dropping its connection several times a day. I either have to push its Sync button or when that doesn't work, power cycle it to get a connection again. Many times it will drop and it will resync itself after a few minutes without my pushing the sync button. I have not updated the firmware recently (v2.3.5.30), so I do not know what has triggered this behavior. The modem it's connected to is fine; I have not needed to power cycle it. 

Frustrating! Should I look at replacing it?

Message 3 of 9
wrleeii
Aspirant

Thank you for your comments. I thought the sync button's behavior odd, as well; though it only works sometimes. I hadn't changed any of its configuration in several weeks. Suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, it started dropping. When I go to it, the ring light is either off or pulsing white. If pulsing, then usually it will reconnect by itself after a 2-3 minutes. If off, I try holding the sync button for a few seconds to see whether the pulsing starts (an indication that it will reconnect). Often, nothing happens, so I have to power-cycle the router. After turning the power back on and waiting a few seconds, the white ring light will blink for several seconds before it changes to its pulsing. The pulsing, I take as a sign that a reconnection is in progress—which it does.

Once, I approached to find the ring light blinking rather than pulsing—i had to power-cycle it.

I tried looking at the logs, but no obvious errors were showing (I'll have to look again, more closely)

Through the Netgear support pages, I could not contact them. I also tried selecting the link to replace it and I was directed to an invalid page. 

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try some of the suggestions as well. 

@wrleeii wrote:

Thank you for your comments. I thought the sync button's behavior odd, as well; though it only works sometimes. I hadn't changed any of its configuration in several weeks. Suddenly, a couple of weeks ago, it started dropping. When I go to it, the ring light is either off or pulsing white. If pulsing, then usually it will reconnect by itself after a 2-3 minutes. If off, I try holding the sync button for a few seconds to see whether the pulsing starts (an indication that it will reconnect). Often, nothing happens, so I have to power-cycle the router. After turning the power back on and waiting a few seconds, the white ring light will blink for several seconds before it changes to its pulsing. The pulsing, I take as a sign that a reconnection is in progress—which it does.

Once, I approached to find the ring light blinking rather than pulsing—i had to power-cycle it.

I tried looking at the logs, but no obvious errors were showing (I'll have to look again, more closely)

Through the Netgear support pages, I could not contact them. I also tried selecting the link to replace it and I was directed to an invalid page. 

Message 5 of 9
wrleeii
Aspirant

Yeah, I didn't respond to you yet because I needed see what the result of your suggestions were. In answer to some of your questions:

• When I check for the latest firmware, it says that there is no newer version (than my 2.3.5.30).
  • the router is acting as a router (not an AP) to a Cistco/LinkSys DPC3008-CC cable "modem"; but I haven ot needed to restart it which I infer to mean that the router is the problem. Also, the that the wifi itself drops would imply the router. 
  • MIMO, Beamformng, and WMM are all active.
  • 2.4MHz channel was set to auto, operating on channel 9. 5MHz was on channel 48. 
  • I have a 2100 sq ft space with the first satelite about 15' away and the second satelite about 30' away from that one. I have seen cases where the router is directly connected to the second satelite. 
  • I have 4 or 5 wifi neighbors detectable from some places in the house (though probably not where the router is). 

I tried disabling the Armor and Circle svcs and rebooting, last night since adding those were my most recent changes. I'll see whether that stabilizes anything when I get home tonight. The rest are whatever the factory defaults were. Performing a new factory reset would seem to defeat the purpose of having non-factory settings—I need to know that it will operate the way it was advertised and with settings that I need. 

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

@wrleeii wrote:

Yeah, I didn't respond to you yet because I needed see what the result of your suggestions were. In answer to some of your questions:

• When I check for the latest firmware, it says that there is no newer version (than my 2.3.5.30). There is newer FW available for manual download, v2.5.1.8. Something to try if your problems can't seem to be resolved by current suggestions.
  • the router is acting as a router (not an AP) to a Cistco/LinkSys DPC3008-CC cable "modem"; but I haven ot needed to restart it which I infer to mean that the router is the problem. Also, the that the wifi itself drops would imply the router. A power cycle of the ISP modem would be a good thing to try anyways. 
  • MIMO, Beamformng, and WMM are all active.
  • 2.4MHz channel was set to auto, operating on channel 9. 5MHz was on channel 48. Please use channels 1, 6 or 11. Channel 9 is a sub channel used by the system. 
  • I have a 2100 sq ft space with the first satelite about 15' away and the second satelite about 30' away from that one. I have seen cases where the router is directly connected to the second satelite. 15' is too close. ALL RBS need to be 30 feet or more away from the RBR. 
  • I have 4 or 5 wifi neighbors detectable from some places in the house (though probably not where the router is). 

I tried disabling the Armor and Circle svcs and rebooting, last night since adding those were my most recent changes. I'll see whether that stabilizes anything when I get home tonight. The rest are whatever the factory defaults were. Performing a new factory reset would seem to defeat the purpose of having non-factory settings—I need to know that it will operate the way it was advertised and with settings that I need. Sometimes a reset maybe needed to clear our any mis-configurations or the system working in a bad state. Use this as a last resort or after loading FW. Factory resets are a valid troubleshooting step. 

Message 7 of 9
wrleeii
Aspirant

I got notifications that the network has dropped (and restarted) during the day today, so it looks like disabling Circle and Armor didn't help.

Since it was working for several months, just fine, why do you think the issues you listed could suddenly start affecting the system so severely? 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Could be just about anything. Wireless interferences are most common. 

Hoping the suggestions help. Try a FW update if nothing helps. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7