Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBK753 Nest mesh WIFI - What is the cheapest add on Satellite I can purchase?

SGDH
Aspirant

RBK753 Nest mesh WIFI - What is the cheapest add on Satellite I can purchase?

Re:  Model RBK753  AX4200 WIFI 6 Mesh (Router + 2 satellites). - Sorry did not fine model search!

IO have just purchased this for our bungalow and it is brilliant, except the wifi does not reach the nest cameras i have at the top of each gable end on the exterior of the house.

I dont blame the Orbi as they are all on one level (1 in garage and ethernet backhauled) but the Nest Camera struggle to get a solid wifi up one floor (loft) and on the exterior of the brick building.

I want to put a mesh satellite in the loft to give extra 2.4 wifi boost in the loft area to reach these cameras, but want to do so as economically as possible but keeping the integrity of the mesh system.  I am ok with Wifi 5 AC in the loft provided the additional units can add to my system and be one mesh.

I have as a temporary solution put my old EE wifi router in teh loft as a Acess Point, set on 2.4, but I dont really want to have a competeing network in the loft interferring with my new netgear system in the house.

I also dont want to spend £250 on another RK750 unit either if possible.

Any suggestions - Muchly appreciated!

Thanks

Steve  

Message 1 of 3
vajim
Master

Re: RBK753 Nest mesh WIFI - What is the cheapest add on Satellite I can purchase?

Hi Steve

You may want to post your questions here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@SGDH wrote:

II have as a temporary solution put my old EE wifi router in teh loft as a Acess Point, set on 2.4, but I dont really want to have a competeing network in the loft interferring with my new netgear system in the house.

I also dont want to spend £250 on another RK750 unit either if possible. 

The goals are incompatible: (a) single WiFi mesh, and (b) inexpensive.  Only an Orbi "AX" satellite integrates with the existing system to expand the "mesh", but it is expensive.

It seems to me that the solution is already in place: a separate 2.4G network (on a different channel) that is connected as an access point to the primary network.  The cameras never move, so "mesh" means nothing to them. The Orbi router assigns IP addresses and shows them as Attached Devices.  As long as the interior of the loft area gets adequate WiFi coverage from the primary Orbi and that EE router's 2.4G signal penetrates the brick walls, "problem solved."

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7