Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK753S adding a 2.4ghz router

Blairkob
Follower

RBK753S adding a 2.4ghz router

I have an RBK753S bought at costco.  Base plus 2  satellites.

I need to add a router to the system for 2.4ghz devices (light buldbs)

can it be done?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK753S adding a 2.4ghz router

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Since telnet is not supported or available on Orbi AX system, Separation of SSIDs is not supported on Orbi AX. 

Thank you.

@Blairkob wrote:

can it be done?

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK753S adding a 2.4ghz router

@Blairkob wrote:

can it be done?

Yes, you can add anything you want to an Orbi system, but there is seldom a reason to do so.

Can you specify which brand of light bulbs.  There was a post recently about Feit Smart Bulbs on sale at Costco. They connect just fine to Orbi systems.

There is a lot of needless anxiety over the WARNINGS IN BIG TYPE, "MUST HAVE 2.4G WiFi!!!!!"  This means (literally) "If there is NO 2.4G WiFi, this device cannot connect."  Sort of like my TV remote that says "Requires (2) AA batteries (not included)."  If I have only C cells and D cells, but no AA cells, then my remote cannot function."  Orbi provides 2.4G WiFi.

The vast majority of devices get configured with a smartphone app and connect.  The device (smart plug, light bulb, etc.) creates a little WiFi access point with a specific name. The smartphone app scans for WiFi access points, finds the device, and passes the user's WiFi name (SSID) and password. Then the device looks for a WiFi signal with that name and connects.

There area small number of devices that have poorly written smartphone apps.  For some crazy reason, the app either (a) refuses to proceed if the phone is connected to a 5G WiFi system, or (b) passes incorrect information to the device.  For those specific devices, the only solution is to get the smartphone connected to the Orbi at 2.4G.  There are creative ways to do this, such as (a) keeping an old cell phone that has no 5G WiFi capability, (b) connecting a old or cheap WiFi access point.  The older Orbi ac systems have an option to stop broadcasting the 5G WiFi SSID so that the phone can reconnect to the 2.4G signal.  The AX Orbi's do not have this capability.

Sorry for the long response.  My advice is:

• Go ahead and try to set up the device.  It will probably work.
  • If not, return it.  Life is too short to be struggling with electronics that are stupid.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7