Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK852 satellite crashes when use remote desktop app (jump desktop)

dnexon
Aspirant

RBK852 satellite crashes when use remote desktop app (jump desktop)

The title covers it. Everything works fine if we're on the main router (both LAN and WAN). But it takes down the satelite, sometimes after failing to connect and sometimes right after connection. Otherwise works fine; we don't have a proiblem with intermittent connections or whatnot.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK852 satellite crashes when use remote desktop app (jump desktop)

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 6
dnexon
Aspirant

Apologies. I managed to navigate my way out without realizing it.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@dnexon wrote:

The title covers it. Everything works fine if we're on the main router (both LAN and WAN). But it takes down the satelite, sometimes after failing to connect and sometimes right after connection. Otherwise works fine; we don't have a problem with intermittent connections or whatnot.

Using Jump Desktop on a (mac? Windows? Android?) to remote desktop to a computer on the internet somewhere, correct?

When the computer running the Jump app is connected to the Orbi router, "all is good"?

When the computer running the Jump app is connected to the Orbi satellite, the satellite does what?

* Drops off the Orbi "Attached Devices" display?

* Drops every device connected to the satellite?

Message 4 of 6
dnexon
Aspirant

It sounds like I should relocate the thread, but before I do.

It doesn’t matter whether I’m initiating the connection on iOS, MacOS (Big Sur), or Win10. When I initiate a remote connection (via Jump Desktop, I haven’t tried SSH, for example) to a 1) Mac on the same WAN, 2) one connected via Ethernet into the Orbi base, or that’s 3) at a different residence, the connection fails (sometimes before, someones immediately after I see the target’s desktop). The process *also* sends the Orbi satellite into solid magenta (no IP address) until it’s rebooted via being unplugged. Based on monitoring the network it looks like connection attempt —> satellite losing connection with the base —> the connection failure.

This is not sporadic; it happens every single time.

I have not been able to reproduce the behavior when I’m connected (either via WiFi or Ethernet) through the base itself; it only occurs when the network arrangement is device <-> satellite <-> base.

Based on poking around, the problem sounds similar to one being reported back in 2018 on Reddit, but there the trigger was online gaming; the speculation focused on packet management.

Most people whose problems seem adjacent *also* have issues with their satellite(s) spontaneously losing contact with the base, which we do not.

Firmware is up to date.

Anyway, I’ll take my query to the right place. Thanks.
Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@dnexon wrote:
This is not sporadic; it happens every single time..

You are following the same path as I would in trying to discover the problem. i.e. verify that something works locally before dragging the internet into the picture. Another step in that direction might be to determine if the satellite link is broken both in WiFi mode and in ethernet backhaul mode. (I keep a 50ft. ethernet patch cable around specifically for testing things. Amazon sells 50ft and 100 ft. ethernet cables for under $20.) I realize that it is not practical for most of us to utilize a wired backhaul, but it would be helpful to know if it fails both ways.

Just a (very) tiny note.  "WAN" typically refers to "Wide Area Network", not WiFi network. Connecting to something on the WAN is the same thing as connecting to something on the internet.

How old is this Orbi?  Netgear supplies 90 days of "complimentary support" with a purchase and a hardware warranty of one year.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7