Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK853 Back Haul

BobbyOnyx
Aspirant

RBK853 Back Haul

Hi Guys,
I've searched the forums and cannot find the answer but apologies if it out there and has been asked before.
I am 99% sold on purchasing the RBK853 WiFi 6 mesh system but have a question regarding back haul which I believe is not the usual question people have!
My setup will require the use of one of the satellite's as a switch, utilising 2 of the rj45 ports for my pc and NAS and then hard wired back to the router.
My question is, is it possible to forcibly tell the hardware not to use this Ethernet connection back to the router as a back haul?
In simple terms, can I force the orbi to use wireless back haul rather than my Ethernet connection?
I hope this makes sense.
I look forward to your replies
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK853 Back Haul

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

Thank you.

Message 2 of 5
BobbyOnyx
Aspirant

Many thanks. I will ask there.
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru
CrimpOn
Guru

@BobbyOnyx wrote:
My question is, is it possible to forcibly tell the hardware not to use this Ethernet connection back to the router as a back haul?
In simple terms, can I force the orbi to use wireless back haul rather than my Ethernet connection?
I hope this makes sense.

Yes. unplug the ethernet cable and the satellite cannot do backhaul over ethernet.

Using the satellite as a switch is independent of the backhaul connection.  Devices connected to the satellite will not send traffic over the backhaul link when "talking to each other". They will only use the backhaul link when the destination is over the link.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7