Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK853 - Slow Wired Gigabit Connection

big44
Aspirant

RBK853 - Slow Wired Gigabit Connection

I just upgraded to Ultrafast with BT (900mb speeds). When connected directly with ethernet to the provided ISP router, I'm getting instant 900mb speeds. The speed tests literally /instantaneously/ jump to 900mb.

I then set my ISP router to Modem mode and wire to Orbi, then wire my PC to Orbi with ethernet, the speeds creep their way up a lot slower (starts 300mb, slowly building 100mb at a time). Also my latency is a few ms more.

Another issue with the Orbi is slow wifi speeds. I'm only getting about 400mb speeds max through wifi. I also have another Orbi RBK850 satellite literally in the next room with an ethernet going to a second PC, and that PC is only getting 400mb speeds too.

I've tried AP mode, router mode, different cables (CAT8, CAT6, CAT5E), bypassed my ISP modem through PPPoE. Nothing has fixed it. The only way I'm getting my max speeds is directly connecting to the ISP provided router.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK853 - Slow Wired Gigabit Connection

@big44 wrote:

I then set my ISP router to Modem mode and wire to Orbi, then wire my PC to Orbi with ethernet, the speeds creep their way up a lot slower (starts 300mb, slowly building 100mb at a time). Also my latency is a few ms more.

Another issue with the Orbi is slow wifi speeds. I'm only getting about 400mb speeds max through wifi. I also have another Orbi RBK850 satellite literally in the next room with an ethernet going to a second PC, and that PC is only getting 400mb speeds too.

The Orbi RBK852 (853, 854) package Product Data Sheet advertises blazing speeds for devices connected with 802.11ax.  As the footnote points out:

" Maximum wireless signal rate derived from IEEE 802.11 specifications. Actual data throughput and wireless coverage will vary and be lowered by network and environmental conditions, including network traffic volume, device limitations, and building construction. NETGEAR makes no representations or warranties about this product’s compatibility with future standards. Up to 6,000Mbps wireless speeds achieved when connecting to other 802.11ax 6,000Mbps devices."

For devices not (literally) next to the router or connected using 802.11ac, maximum possible speeds are considerably lower.  Whereas the PC connected directly to the router with ethernet  should be able to achieve nearly "full speed", anything that has a WiFi link in the path cannot achieve that much, and even less if the link is 802.11ac.  My guess is that a measured 400mb is damn good.

This is one area where users (such as myself, with the 'old' Orbi system) lack personal experience relevant to this issue.  You may find that posting in the Orbi AX community forum will bring the question to the attention of users who have the same AX  850 product.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

Message 2 of 5
big44
Aspirant

I mean 400mb isn't necessarily damn good right next to the router through wifi is it? I am getting 900mb directly wired

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Depending on what device is connecting over WiFi, and with what 802.11 standard, I think it very well could be.

You could poll participants on the AX forum and see what they say.

(not having one, I have never searched through that forum or even looked through several pages of posts to see if any post mention "speed")

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7