Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK853 wifi 6

somairm
Aspirant

RBK853 wifi 6

Hello, can any one tell me as I am planning to buy MESH WIFI and after checking reviews I found that ORBI MESH with 1 base and 2 satallite (RBK853) is better option for large house. Just wanted to make sure before spending $, will my old devices i.e iphone, samsung note 3 and 2015 MAC book pro having 802.11 n and 802.11ac connect to RBK853 (Wifi 6).

The reason i am buying RBK853 is gradually all the wifi 5 devices will be phase off as future is wifi 6.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK853 wifi 6

Yes, every device you now have will connect to the new Orbi WiFi 6.  As far as they are concerned, it will not perform any better than the current WiFi 5 Orbi line.  At some point in the next few years, there will be new devices which benefit from WiFi 6, most likely mobile phones, tables, and laptops.

WiFi 5 devices will not "phase off".  They will continue to work indefinitely.  Suppose there is a "new" garage door controller that somehow supports WiFi 6.  Would you throw out the existing garage door controller that works every time?  I have an Oster blender that is 50 years old.  It still blends.  I use it every day.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, every device you now have will connect to the new Orbi WiFi 6.  As far as they are concerned, it will not perform any better than the current WiFi 5 Orbi line.  At some point in the next few years, there will be new devices which benefit from WiFi 6, most likely mobile phones, tables, and laptops.

WiFi 5 devices will not "phase off".  They will continue to work indefinitely.  Suppose there is a "new" garage door controller that somehow supports WiFi 6.  Would you throw out the existing garage door controller that works every time?  I have an Oster blender that is 50 years old.  It still blends.  I use it every day.

Message 2 of 4
somairm
Aspirant

Thank you. So I think at this point in time it is useless to invest in wifi 6 rather than I go for Orb RBK53 which I think is decent product. I have 100 MBPS up/down link, so I guess it will work fine.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to post about any Orbi AX items over in the Orbi AX Forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos