Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBKE963B - Help picking cable modem for Spectrum

Talon38
Tutor

RBKE963B - Help picking cable modem for Spectrum

I purchased a New Orbi 6E kit and have it installed.  I would like to replace the Spectrum CM with a new model that will match the Orbi system as Spectrum increases its speeds from 1 G to 2-5G to 10G.  What CM would you buy and would you use link aggregation or a 2.5G modem?  Thanks for your help!  Mike

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBKE963B - Help picking cable modem for Spectrum

the fastest modem right now is the CM2000 which has a 2.5g port. 

I haven't seen any 5g or 10g ports on consumer modems (and the ISP's don't support that on docsis 3.1)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

one port rather than port aggregation.

If you get telephone service from Spectrum, the modem must include that feature.

Message 2 of 12
Talon38
Tutor

Thanks!  We d/c'd our home phones due to quack callers (40+ per day) and now use cell phones and RoboKiller (great software BTW), so only need the modem.  

Cheers!

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

the fastest modem right now is the CM2000 which has a 2.5g port. 

I haven't seen any 5g or 10g ports on consumer modems (and the ISP's don't support that on docsis 3.1)

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Spectrum's approved modem list is here:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-spectrum-network 

(Click on the 1G DOCSIS 3.1 heading.)

Picking a model with a 2.5G compatible port is probably a good "future proofing" idea.

Message 5 of 12
Talon38
Tutor

Thanks, what do you think of the RAX80?  It's a router (I don't need) and a CM up to 6G.  Mike

Message 6 of 12
Talon38
Tutor

I ordered the CM2000.  Thanks again,

Talon38

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Modem. 

Let us know how it all works out for you. 

Message 8 of 12
Talon38
Tutor

Will do!!

Message 9 of 12
Talon38
Tutor

Follow-up:  I purchased the CM2000 and connected it to the Orbi system.  Spectrum says the max current speed is 940 Mbps.  After connection, I'm running at 1175 Mbps on the Orbis.  I'm guessing that it's the new system and Spectrum's equipment can't do over 940 (or they have to go higher to get it near a Gig).

Message 10 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@Talon38 wrote:

Follow-up:  I purchased the CM2000 and connected it to the Orbi system.  Spectrum says the max current speed is 940 Mbps.  After connection, I'm running at 1175 Mbps on the Orbis.  I'm guessing that it's the new system and Spectrum's equipment can't do over 940 (or they have to go higher to get it near a Gig).

I have Spectrum with a "contract rate" of 200Mbps.  I regularly measure 320-340Mbps using SpeedTest.com

If you are measuring 1175Mbps with a SpeedTest tool, that is what you are getting.

I do not recall if the CM2000 allows you to log on and view the actual connection channels.  If so, you could "add up" the 32 channels and see what they come up to.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this the max speed they support on there network? If not and they support over that, then a tech should come out and check your line up to the modem. The CM series modem is capable of well over 1000Mpbs on the WAN side. If your seeing 1175Mpbs thru the system then your getting over 900Mpbs. Seems like your getting over 900Mpbs then. 

How are you seed testing? Wired or wireless? 

@Talon38 wrote:

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7