Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 20 Orbi Router- How to connect a Brother HL2170W printer to the network using WiFi ?

TH65
Follower

RBR 20 Orbi Router- How to connect a Brother HL2170W printer to the network using WiFi ?

So I bought the Orbi RBR20 model and setting up the network was a breeze. However when I try to add my Brother HL2170 W wireless printer I run into issues. When I configure the printer itand print a test page it shows that the printer is indeed on the network. However whe I try to print a test page I get the error that the printer is offline. Any ideas as to what I should do to resolve this?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
gutnick
Aspirant

Re: RBR 20 Orbi Router- How to connect a Brother HL2170W printer to the network using WiFi ?

Solved!!! If you click the reset pin button on the back on a Brother HL-2170w and press the black sync button. The key is press the button for a click of a second or less. Any longer and it messes it up

View solution in original post

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 11

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR 20 Orbi Router- How to connect a Brother HL2170W printer to the network using WiFi ?

It will help if you describe how the test page is being printed.  i.e. from a computer? tablet? smart phone?

Does the Orbi web interface or "app" indicate that the printer is connected?

Message 2 of 11
Mikey94025
Hero

If you're able to successfully print a test page but cannot print other documents from other apps, then it sounds like your issue is with your operating system and not Orbi.  Are you using a Windows PC or laptop?  Windows can report that printers "are offline".

In Windows 10 try this:

1. Win-R and type in "control panel" to bring up the Control Panel
  2. Under Hardware and Sound, click on "View devices and printers"
  3. Scroll down to Printers and left-cick (select) your printer
  4. Click on "See what's printing" in the top bar to bring up this printer's specific queue window
  5. In the Printer menu, select "Set as Default Printer" so the checkmark appears next to it
  6. Make sure that the checkmark is NOT next to "Use Printer Offline".  If it is, select the item to toggle the state of the checkmark so it is OFF.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your printer driver is configured to the correct IP address that is assigned to the printer from the router.

Message 4 of 11
gutnick
Aspirant

I have the same problem. Tried resetting, using a guest wi-fi with no password. I think the problem is the router is not assigning an IP via DHCP 192....
When i press the blue printer button three times it shows a full ip 264.45,etc
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If its showing a 264.45, then the printer isn't configured correctly or there maybe a static Ip address set. Contact the printers mfr for help and information on setting up there printer and it's networking settings. Ask about printer FW updates as well. 

@gutnick wrote:
I have the same problem. Tried resetting, using a guest wi-fi with no password. I think the problem is the router is not assigning an IP via DHCP 192....
When i press the blue printer button three times it shows a full ip 264.45,etc

Message 6 of 11
gutnick
Aspirant

Message 7 of 11
gutnick
Aspirant

Solved!!! If you click the reset pin button on the back on a Brother HL-2170w and press the black sync button. The key is press the button for a click of a second or less. Any longer and it messes it up
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ha. Glad you figured it out. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 11
gutnick
Aspirant

Where do you mark it solved?
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

OOops sorry, forgot that you didn't start this thread. Disregard. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7