Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 20 & Satellite slowness since the AP mode has been activated

verrnum
Aspirant

RBR 20 & Satellite slowness since the AP mode has been activated

Hello,

Since I have switched from Modem to AP mode, the performance of the devices connected to the RBR 20 router and his satellites (x2) has decreased.

It's more kind of very high latency, looking for a connection.

I don't know if the issue occurs when the device is connected to a satellite or the router, seems to be general, and all kind of connected devices are impacted (phone, laptop, IOT, etc...).

I've tried to restart/check firmware of  all the ORBI devices, but doesn't fix it, do  you any idea ?

Thank you 

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
verrnum
Aspirant

Re: RBR 20 & Satellite slowness since the AP mode has been activated

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for yours suggestions.

I've finally decided to buy a used NETGEAR  RAX120 WIFI 6 Routeur to replace the ORBI system.

The latency and internet drop wa not acceptable.

Since I have recently installed Ethernet cable for my Gaming PC and Streaming box, I don't need some much bandwith capability on WIFI connection for the others devices of the house.

I will plug the 2,5 Gbit/s ISP connection to Multi Gigabits port of the routeur and connect the others wired devices directly on Ethernet port of the routeur.

I hope that the coverage range will be enough for my house, if not, I will ask for a refund.

Thank you for your help !

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello verrnum,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!

I understand that you are having latency issues with your RBR20 since changing to AP mode. If your ISP modem/router has integrated Wi-Fi please disable the Wi-Fi signal on your ISP modem/router. 

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 2 of 7
verrnum
Aspirant

hello,

Thank you, the integrated WiFi is already
turned off.

It's disappointing, slower than in 4G.

The Orbi Router is connected to the ISP router, optical fiber, 2,5 Gbits/s...
https://www.free.fr/freebox/freebox-pop/

Regards

Message 3 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello verrnum,

Thank you for your response!

Please change your RBR20 to router mode then change the Freebox to modem-only mode.

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 7
verrnum
Aspirant

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Before doing this, I will like to to know , as you can see in the picture attached, the Freebox Pop has 3 ethernet ports ( 1 x 2.5 Gbits/s et 2 X 1 Gbits/s).

For better latency and speed download, I have connected 1 PC to the 2.5 Gbits/s port and Shield TV to the 1 Gbits/s and the Orbi Router to the third ethernet port.

Orbi router and the 2 satellites has multiples devices connected with WIFI and ethernet (about 30 devices).

- Do you know if the devices directly connected to the Freebox Pop will be able to communicated with the devices connected to the Orbi System with the same IP adress range ?

- Do you know of the devices directly connected to the Freebox Pop will be able to benefit of the 2,5 Gbits/s bandwith when accessing to internet  (no mandatory routing by the Orbi router) ?

Thank you for your help

Message 5 of 7
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello verrnum,

Thank you for providing additional details about your network layout!

Please disconnect all devices from your Freebox then connect only the Orbi then test the network speeds. If the network speeds are desirable then connect the other devices one by one. 

If you would like all devices to be able to communicate with each other then you would need to have your Freebox Pop in router mode. 

Changing the mode of your ISP router will not have an effect on network speeds. 

What firmware is your RBR20 currently on?

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 6 of 7
verrnum
Aspirant

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for yours suggestions.

I've finally decided to buy a used NETGEAR  RAX120 WIFI 6 Routeur to replace the ORBI system.

The latency and internet drop wa not acceptable.

Since I have recently installed Ethernet cable for my Gaming PC and Streaming box, I don't need some much bandwith capability on WIFI connection for the others devices of the house.

I will plug the 2,5 Gbit/s ISP connection to Multi Gigabits port of the routeur and connect the others wired devices directly on Ethernet port of the routeur.

I hope that the coverage range will be enough for my house, if not, I will ask for a refund.

Thank you for your help !

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7