Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 20 speed test

DDay2017
Aspirant

RBR 20 speed test

Does the speed test in this app measure speed at the router (isp connection), or at my iOS device (with WiFi latency) ? Am trying to investigate my service level from my ISP. 

THANKS

David

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DDay2017
Aspirant

Re: RBR 20 speed test

Thank you for your prompt reply. 
You have confirmed what I hoped would be the case; as I no longer need/own a laptop, connecting my desktop directly to the modem is a logistical nightmare. ISP techs (rightfully) always assume there is local traffic or infrastructure that affects the Ookla Speed measurements. Measurement at the router should eliminate this "excuse". I understand that the ISP will provision the service to a minimum level so they can make $, but my remote neighborhood only gets DSL service and they run it at a MAX (which I pay for) 12Mbps. At peak streaming times, I'm lucky to see half of that. Smiley Mad

Thanks again. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi "Speed Test" is run on the Orbi router itself.

Connecting to one of the many speed test web sites, or using their speed test "app" takes place on the device.

If you search the Orbi forum, there have been numerous discussions about the accuracy (or inaccuracy) of the built-in app.

The mosts reliable way to measure ISP speed is to connect a computer directly to the modem (in place of the Orbi) and run a speed test.

Message 2 of 4
DDay2017
Aspirant

Thank you for your prompt reply. 
You have confirmed what I hoped would be the case; as I no longer need/own a laptop, connecting my desktop directly to the modem is a logistical nightmare. ISP techs (rightfully) always assume there is local traffic or infrastructure that affects the Ookla Speed measurements. Measurement at the router should eliminate this "excuse". I understand that the ISP will provision the service to a minimum level so they can make $, but my remote neighborhood only gets DSL service and they run it at a MAX (which I pay for) 12Mbps. At peak streaming times, I'm lucky to see half of that. Smiley Mad

Thanks again. 

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, my wife has a special look she gets when I break out my 50' ethernet cable to test something.  (I also have a 100' cable in reserve.)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7