Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 40

DGz73
Aspirant

RBR 40

Can a RBR 40 work with a RBR50 router?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR 40

Not in the way you mean. No.

Explanation: Orbi routers can ONLY be a "router" (no matter what mode they are in, see below).  They can never be attached to another Orbi router and function as a "satellite".

Any Orbi router can be placed into "Access Point" (AP) mode and connected to any brand of router, including Netgear Orbi.  They then function as a stand-alone WiFi access point, the same as a $30 no-name unit from Amazon.  They will not be "integrated" into the Orbi system.  Devices will not "roam" from the original Orbi network to this router (or back).  It would be sort of a waste of an expensive piece of equipment.  However, if the choice is between letting it sit in a drawer unused and using it as an overpriced WiFi access point, some people find a good use for it someplace.

The other awkward part is that (as far as I know), an Orbi router cannot connect to other routers over WiFi.  It needs an ethernet cable.  This is less desirable than that $30 unit from Amazon.  BUT... suppose there is a Cat6 ethernet cable running to some part of the house where there are WiFi devices that never move.  Connect the Orbi router as an access point.  Give it some different WiFi name and put it on a channel that does not interfere with the Orbi.  Now, things that never move like garage door openers, IP security cameras, printers, etc. can have internet access.

Wow.  What a rant.  Sorry.

Message 2 of 4
DGz73
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick reply.

Think I did not pose my question right, I have a RBR 40 Orbi with two satellites. The RBR 40 router broke so just checking if I can use the RBR 40 satellites with a AC3000 router.

Actually appreciate the rant helpful.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Are you ever in luck. YES.  All Orbi satellites can be used with any Orbi router.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7