Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR 50 Continuously Losing Connectivity

FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Hsrancourt wrote:

Hi- I am having the exact same issue as the original post. Everything has been working fine until a week ago. Our WiFi internet connectivity goes down daily and I keep having to reboot the Orbi which ends up fixing it. The whole time our modem from Spectrum never loses internet. My Mac is wired to the router and seems to maintain occasional partial connectivity . My Orbi app always states that it is having trouble locating RBR50 when the internet connectivity is lost, even though my WiFi shows it still connected to the router network. We do not have Circle enabled. (Never have) we do have Armor enabled. No other setting have been changed since original install. Our Satellite has randomly been going offline as well.

Message 26 of 31
larrymcgovern
Aspirant

My router loses connectivity every night.  I have to reboot the modem to reconnect.  This just started happening after having the router since Sept 24, 2020.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@larrymcgovern wrote:

My router loses connectivity every night.  I have to reboot the modem to reconnect.  This just started happening after having the router since Sept 24, 2020.

Message 28 of 31
Bshawn
Aspirant

I Am Also having The Same Exact Issue.

Message 29 of 31
spewak
Luminary

This is what method worked for me as taken from the Orbi subreddit:

I disabled the auto check for time change and changed the NTP server to something other than the Netgear default.

My Orbi hasn't disconnected in three days.

Test 1 - Changed NTP server to 1.pool.ntp.org. I had already "fixed" the problem by hitting the TEST button on the setup page. After a couple of hours, the problem was back.

Test 2 - Disable automatic timezone setting and manually changed time zones to fix the clock. *** Router was not even able to do the DNS lookup for 1.pool.ntp.org while it was "broken." (It displays an error in red on the menu.) Clicked "TEST," waited for DNS replies to start working and re-Applied the NTP server change. It received the NTP response that time.

Biggest result is that this confirms the Orbi apparently can't do any DNS lookups when it's broken.

We'll see if disabling the automatic adjustment works around the problem.

If not, I noticed that the debug.htm menu has an option for mirrroring WAN traffic to an internal port. I can try setting up a sniffer to see if it's even sending the DNS requests and whether there are any replies.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 30 of 31

Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7