Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 50 Corrupted - Will Not Allow Firmware Update - Possible eMMC Corruption?

Kirika
Aspirant

RBR 50 Corrupted - Will Not Allow Firmware Update - Possible eMMC Corruption?

Router began acting weird and having network access errors. Attempted to perform multiple factory resets 30-30-30, etc. etc. Router will not return to its original state (retains my SSID instead of reverting to factory default SSID etc.). Router performance is also very shaky.  

My firmware will not update via webportal. It is currently on version 2.7.2.104. It will also not update via TFTP. The router will allow me to upload firmware, but seems to have some error when attempting to install the new firmware. 

I have opened up the RBR50 (it is out of warranty anyways) and connected the serial port to my PC via TTP to USB adapter. 

One of the things I notice when an uploaded firmware is installing is a series of errors: 

Example: 
Multiple lines of something like: "Buffer I/O error mmcblk0p27 block X lost page error" or "Buffer I/O error mmcblk0p34 block X lost page write" etc. etc. 

No matter how many times I try to upload new firmware, the webportal always reflects that it is version 2.7.2.104 installed. 

Is it possible to reformat or work around the bad blocks in the internal mmc? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR 50 Corrupted - Will Not Allow Firmware Update - Possible eMMC Corruption?

Does re-loading v104 on top exhibit the same problem? 

You only need to press the reset button for 15 seconds and release should do a full factory reset. 

Where are you seeing these error entries? 

What browser are you using? Try FireFox or MS Edge. 

Message 2 of 6
Kirika
Aspirant

Re: RBR 50 Corrupted - Will Not Allow Firmware Update - Possible eMMC Corruption?

Loading v104 has the same problem.

I'm seeing the messages in a PowerShell (PUTTY output from serial port). I see it when it's trying to initialize firmware that I upload to the unit using tftpd64.

Refer to the images posted.

20210803_193143.jpg20210802_151912.jpg

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably something corrupt and needs to be look at by NG. 

Message 4 of 6
Kirika
Aspirant

Yeah, sadly my router is out of warranty *sigh*. 

I already replaced my system with the SXK80. Now to figure out what to do about my RBS50 satelites :-/. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Might see if the RBS50 will ethernet connect to the 80 series. They do for the Orbi 8 AX series. They might for the pro. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7