Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR 50 Firmware

lfd346
Aspirant

RBR 50 Firmware

Can someone tell me the correct firmware for the RBR50 I have v2.5.0.38

it appears to me there is a newer version but mine says no? Of course my support expired and have had problems ever since! Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, there is a newer version for the RBR50/RBS50: https://kb.netgear.com/000061530/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-8 

You are probably aware that there is risk associated with manually updating to firmware that Netgear is not ready to "announce" on the app and web interfaces.  People report that this firmware has fixed several issues that appeared when 2.5.0.38 was released.

Message 2 of 10
lfd346
Aspirant

Thanks I tried to manually update it and it told me it was the wrong one! I guess I will wait for it to be forced out! Thanks
Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Hmmm.  After downloading the two files, you have to "extract" the .img file from each .zip file.

Then, go into the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Administration, Firmware Update, and then select the "Manual Update" tab.

Can you provide the full name of the file that it rejected?

Message 4 of 10
BobDelp
Guide

RBS50-V2.5.1.8.img fails for me too.

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@BobDelp wrote:

There are two separate firmware files, for the router (RBR50) and for the satellite (RBS50)

When doing a manual update, the user has to connect to the web interface of the device to be updated.

i.e. To update the router, connect to the router.  To update the satellite, connect to the satellite, and "Firmware Update" is the bottom item on the Home Page menu.

The satellite does not have a "name" (like "orbilogin.net")  Look on the Attached Devices page to learn the IP address of the satellite, then open another tab on the web browser and connect to "http://<ip of satellite>" with the same credentials ("admin" and the Orbi admin password).

Were you connected to the satellite when it rejected the firmware file?

Message 6 of 10
BobDelp
Guide

Yes. I was connected to the Satalite.

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Well this is just strange.  I have not seen comments about the firmware files not loading.  Lots of people seem to have installed 2.5.1.8

Probably time to open a new post with a topic like RBS firmware 2.5.1.8 file not accepted.  (People tend to quit reading posts when they get fairly long, and a new post draws attention better.)

Caveat:  I have not loaded 2.5.1.8 yet.  I am still "fat, dumb, and happy" on 2.3.5.30 and don't plan to mess with my Orbi until January.

Message 8 of 10
lfd346
Aspirant

Just an update, I got mine to work. Let’s call it operator error! Lol thanks for the help!
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is your Orbi currently using? 

What browser are you using? 

You can wire connect to the RBS and connect to it's web page and send the FW udpate file there. 

After the RBS is updated, do the same thing with the RBR using the RBR FW update file. 

@BobDelp wrote:

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7