Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 50 and RBS 50 ethernet backhaul slows speed problem

bellalianides
Aspirant

RBR 50 and RBS 50 ethernet backhaul slows speed problem

I have a very large property using one RBR 50 router and 4 RBS50 Satellites on V2.5.0.38 Firmwire.  The RBR 50 router is connected to 1 satellite (A) via ethernet backhaul and this satellite is connected to the second satellite B via wireless daisy chain (enabled) - Satellite B is too far from the router to connect wirelessly.  For the third satellite C, if I connect it to router via wireless backhaul, I get about 200 Mbps on a laptop connected via wirelessly or via ethernet to Satellite C.  However, if I connected satellite C to router via ethernet backhaul, I only get 90 Mbps on the laptop connected via wirelessly or via ethernet to Satellite C.  I know it is not the ethernet backhaul cable because when I connected this backhaul cable directly to the laptop, I get over 700 Mbps.  Basically, when satellite is connected to the router via ethernet backhaul, it slows down both download and upload speed significantly.  Please help and thanks! 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR 50 and RBS 50 ethernet backhaul slows speed problem

as a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Is there any LAN switches in between the RBR and RBS? If so, what is the mfr and model? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What are the speeds if you disable Daisy Chain? 

Swap RBS C in place of RBS A and test it out there.

Message 2 of 10
bellalianides
Aspirant

Please see my responses below:

as a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?  Yes

Is there any LAN switches in between the RBR and RBS? If so, what is the mfr and model? Yes, there is one LAN unmanagement switch - Trendnet TEG-S16Dg.  There are additional switches (some green) connected to the unmanagement 16 port switch but not between  RBR and RBS.  There are also one green switch connected to a RBS but not between RBR and RBS. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Satellite A is connected iva ethernet backhaul (over 200 feet) to router.  Satellite B is connected wirelessly via daisy chain to Satellite A as Satellite B is too far from the router.  Satellite C is approximately 25-30 feet from router and this is the one I am trying to compare the ethernet backhaul vs wireless backhaul.  Satellite D is downstairs approximately 30 feet from router (upstairs).

The NETGEAR support tech ask me to change the MTU Size to 1482 from 1500 and I saw some improvement in speed.

FAST ROAMING and BEAMFORMING are both enabled (disabling these items do not change speed).  MU-MIMO is disabled.  40MHz only.

The wireless 

What are the speeds if you disable Daisy Chain? 

Swap RBS C in place of RBS A and test it out there.

Message 3 of 10
bellalianides
Aspirant

By the way, swapping did not change anything.  I can't disable Daisy Chain because I need it to reach Satellite B.

Message 4 of 10
bellalianides
Aspirant

Satellite A has the same reduced speed as Satellite C when both are using ethernet backhaul.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I think your going to see issues with switches that have Green Ethernet features:

https://www.trendnet.com/products/product-detail?prod=235_TEG-S16Dg

Seen with other postings regarding Orbi and ethernet connected RBS. Mostly resolved by swapping out with switches that don't have any green ethernet features.

Message 6 of 10
bellalianides
Aspirant

The Trendnet 16 port switch I have is the old version so it is not a GREENnet switch.  Would GREENnet switch on the network but not between the router and the satellites matter?  Please advise and thanks!

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What rev version is your 16 port switch? I see Rev R on there site. 

Anything is possible. Something to try with out and see if the behavior changes. 

Also swap RBSs around to see if the problem remains or follows...

Message 8 of 10
bellalianides
Aspirant

I am going to purchase a new switch as the 16 port may still be a green switch.  I will let everyone if this helps.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Do research first to see which switch you get doesn't have Green Ethernet features. 

Good Luck.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7