Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 50 crashed

bhanna69
Aspirant

RBR 50 crashed

My RBR50 crashed last night but the satellite still works. I hate to waste the satellite. I went ahead and replaced the system with an RBK752, but it would be nice if I could get a reasonable price on just an RBR50 to use with my RBS50 so I could donate it to my church for them to use. I've found some refurbished ones but have read some horror stories about getting them setup because the serial number has been registered previously.  Any suggestions? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

Re: RBR 50 crashed

> My RBR50 crashed last night [...]

What, exactly, does "crashed" mean to you?

"crashed" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] have read some horror stories about getting them setup because
> the serial number has been registered previously. [...]

I enjoy a good story, too, so thanks for the helpful links.  "I saw
it on the Internet, so it must be true!"?

For most purposes, on most devices, registration is not needed.  If
registration help is needed:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1845791

Message 2 of 5
bhanna69
Aspirant

By crashed I mean that when I got up this morning I couldn't connect to the internet. The light on my cable modem that shows the connection to the router was not lit. When I connected a computer to the modem, the light came on and it connected to the internet. I tried several things with the router to reset it, power cycle, etc. and it would never connect to the modem. 

As far was as issues with refurbished RBR50s, I read them on this board and they were verified by board administrators. 

Message 3 of 5

@bhanna69 wrote:

I tried several things with the router to reset it, power cycle, etc. and it would never connect to the modem. 

Remember to do things in exactly the right order when recovering from that sort of crash.

It may help to reboot the whole network in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

You have reset the RBR50, so you'll have to set it up again from scratch. Unless you have a copy of the saved configuration file.

Questions about the RBR50 are really best thrown at the appropriate section, where Orbi users hang out.

That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

Orbi technology is kind of different from the bog standard routers covered here.

Message 4 of 5

@bhanna69 wrote:

I've found some refurbished ones but have read some horror stories about getting them setup because the serial number has been registered previously. 

There's nothing in the initial setup process that requires anyone to register a device anywhere.

Registration through mynetgear is essentially there is get buyers their 90-days of "free" support for setup problems, and for the one-year (or more) warranty. But neither of those applies to second-hand devices.

MyNETGEAR | Login

Some add-on services and features may depend on having a device registered there. But that can be sorted if and when you reach that stage.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7