Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR 50 firmware 2.2.1.210 dropping signals every couple minutes

linwa
Tutor

RBR 50 firmware 2.2.1.210 dropping signals every couple minutes

Orbi RBR50 with 1 satilite. firmware 2.2.1.210 dropping signal every minute or so. My cable company replaced modem after modem stopped working but the "Link" light on modem is blinking amber and my signal keeps dropping on all phone devises. Cable company says it is my Netgear router. Tried cycling it, rebooting it but no luck. Should I just junk it and buy from another company? Anyone have a solution?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 12
linwa
Tutor

The RBR50 router is connected to Arris TM822 cable modem. Firmware showing is 2.2.1.210. Also have phone connected to the Arris. 

I also have have a brother printer/fax/scanner connected to the ethernet port on the RBR50 router.

Message 3 of 12
minivag
Aspirant

I belive there is a problem with the sw. But we can work with it and i belive time is your friend here.

Here is what i do. 

1. Turn off both Orbi router and satelite and pull all ethernet cables out off them both. except the one to the modem.

2. Turn on the Orbi router. Wait 5 min. check that the system is working.

3. Turn on the Orbi satelite. (still no cable). Wait 5 min. Check if the satelite shows up in the orbi app.

3a. If not. The press the sync button on router and the sync button on the satelite. again wait 5 min.

4. If you have any ethernet connected devices. The put them in one at a time starting with them in the router. give every one time. then put the ethernet cable in the satelite (again time) 

5. Now cross your fingers that you dont have any power failure. Because then you have to do it all over again.

Message 4 of 12
BuckFoss
Aspirant

Did this actually work?  I'm having the same problem.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try any of the suggestions. Please also give answers to some of the question presented so we have a better idea of your configuration being used. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@BuckFoss wrote:

Did this actually work?  I'm having the same problem.

Message 6 of 12
linwa
Tutor

I have tried changing channels on 2.4 GHZ and disabling MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, (IPv6 not used) and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Then rebooted.  Still having dropped wifi. When I look at the logs after several restarts on my phone I see messages of several DOS ARP Attacks from my own ISP address.  Several neighbors have wifi nearby.. 11 separate locked wifi networks.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the device thats giving the DOS ARP issue. What IP address is this device attached to? 

Might try a full factory reset and setup from scratch. This time setup IP address reservations for each of your devices ON the router.

Message 8 of 12
SuperSwed
Aspirant

Spend hours on trouble shooting on the same topic. Brand new equipment and have updated and rebooted the router and continues to drop the WiFi connectin every 2-3 minutes.

When re-connecting my old router (Technicolor) the WiFi is rock steady again.

Very frustrating.

Looks to me that something in the settings needs to be  tweaked to get a steady signal.

Message 9 of 12
linwa
Tutor

I checked in the logs after several disconnects and I find it shows several DOS attacks. Upon further investigation, it appears that Netgear routers seem to note more DOS attacks then other routers. I think their is an issue with Netgear misinterpreting signals and this is what is causing the dropped signals.

Message 10 of 12
nanohead
Guide

these are well known issues with the .210 firmware.  All of the suggestions here do absolutely nothing other than take up time and cause frustration,  Netgear supposedly "knows" about the issues......

The Orbi has been rendered mostly useless as a mesh network with the .210 firmware.   The router and base wireless even have intermittent issues

Message 11 of 12
linwa
Tutor

I am going to use my cable company's wifi modem and maybe salvage it as an extender if needed. Lesson learned, don't buy products from NETGEAR and spread the word about their inept products and poor customer service.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7