Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR 50 firmware wont update automatically or manually

chetm
Tutor

RBR 50 firmware wont update automatically or manually

According to my Orbi IOS app my Firmware version for my RBR 50 is 2.3.1.60.  When I check for updates I either get a message that an update is available or there was a checking error.  When I do get the update is available and click on update, the app says it updated but the firmware version is the same.  I tried to manually update using netgear’s web site and noticed that my version was not there.  The version which everyone is trying to update to is 2.3.5.30 will not install.  This issue is all over your community so I won’t repeat my issue.  From previous articles I have read it seems that I have the most current version but the app is reporting it incorrectly.  Can someone confirm?

Thanks

chetm

Message 1 of 24

Accepted Solutions
chetm
Tutor

Thanks.  I will try Firefox next.  I may reset and try from scratch as suggested.

Chetm

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 24

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The current firmware for RBR50 is 2.3.5.30.  Connect a web browser (Safari, Chrome, etc.) to the Orbi, which may be "orbilogin.com".  (I prefer to use the actual IP address which in my case is 192.168.1.1), enter "admin" for the user ID and the admin password for the Orbi (which is, of course, different from the WiFi passwordl)  The web Home Page will display the router version in the upper right.  If it is 2.3.5.30, then the RBR50 firmware is current.  If it is not, then navigate to the Advanced Tab->Administration->Firmware Update.

Questions about the Orbi IOS app are probably better addressed to the actual "Orbi App" user forum.  My experience is that most of us on this forum use the web interface most of the time.

Good Luck

Model: A6100|WiFi USB Mini Adapter, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 24
chetm
Tutor

Thanks for the comment about the app.  When I manually updated I followed the same procedure that you described.  I got the message that so many users have gotten.  Wrong firmware could not update.  I’m still not sure that my app is displaying the correct version number.  Interesting the version is not displayed on netgears web site.  I will try the app forum.

Thanks again for the help

chetm

Message 3 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

What version does the Orbi web interface say your Orbi has?

Using the web interface, not the app, have you clicked on the Advanced Tab->Administration->Firmware Update?  On the "Automatic[" tab. does it say that newer firmware is available?

Message 4 of 24
chetm
Tutor

Forgot to mention that I will check the firmware version on the web again.

thanks

Chetm

Message 5 of 24
chetm
Tutor

The router indicates the same as the IOS App 2.3.1.60.  I tried to update manually making sure that I had the correct file with the .img extension.  I got the usual incorrect file response.  I also used the link from another user which took me to the same web page I had used.  Same result.

Thanks for the help.

Message 6 of 24
chetm
Tutor

The web page for the router indicates 2.3.1.60 same as the IOS app.  Manually updating got similar results as before.  Incorrect file.

Thanks for the help.  

Message 7 of 24
chetm
Tutor

Getting senile.  I forgot to answer your other question.  The web page did not indicate that an automatic update was available.

Thanks

Chetm

Message 8 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the system currently working? if it it's, it's recommended to leave it. 

Also you can manually download FW update files and apply them yourself thru the RBR and RBS web pages. 

Message 9 of 24
chetm
Tutor

Thanks.  The system is working.  Just the updates are not.  I have downloaded the firmware zip files from the web.  I do unzip the file and per netgears instruction upload the fIle with the .img extension. I still get the error message.  What is concerning is that when I go to the Orbi site and look up my RBR 50 none of the prior versions agree to what is currently on my system.  If my Firmware becomes too old I will change to another mesh router.  I hope Netgear is reading these posts and understanding that their web and software are not working for a number of users.

Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this a retail Orbi system bought from a store or was it given to you by an ISP, i.e. Verizon? If it's a ISP given Orbi system, sometimes ISP handle the FW updates on these kinds of systems give by ISPs. Stock NG FW updates will not work on ISP given systems. 

Message 11 of 24
chetm
Tutor

It was bought retail.  My ISP only provided a cable modem.

My thanks to you and all of the users that have tried to help.

Message 12 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, making sure. 

You do have to unzip the .zip files. 

I would use IE11 or FF browser to update the FW files...

Message 13 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

2.3.1.60 definitely WAS. a firmware version for the RBR50. Google it. There are a number of discussions on the forum about 2.3.1.60

I hate to say it, BUT.... it may be time for the paperclip. That is, do a "factory reset", and before doing any setup, get to the firmware update page and try both the automatic and if that fails, try the manual. 

Message 14 of 24
chetm
Tutor

Thanks. I did check it. My complaint was that the Netgear web page didn’t show it as a prior version. That was a comment by a number of users when the 2.3.1.60 was downloaded. The web only showed 2.3.1.48 as the current version. The site now shows 2.20 and then the current version for my RBR 50.
I am considering a factory reset. That will be the last thing I try.

Regards

Chetm
Message 15 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

v60 is shown and available on NGs download page for the RBR50.

Message 16 of 24
chetm
Tutor

Thanks.  I will try Firefox next.  I may reset and try from scratch as suggested.

Chetm

Message 17 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know. 

Message 18 of 24
chetm
Tutor

I have looked at the update web page several times.  Didn’t see that version.  It seems I forgot to click on previous versions.  Nonetheless I know the version I have exists because I googled it previously.  Just solves a display issue.

thanks

Message 19 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, it's listed under Prior Versions button on the web site.Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 24
chetm
Tutor

Just to close my issue.  I finally decided to take your advice and reset my Orbi and it’s satellite.  I am now up to date.  What is amazing is that my IOS app which was not used to reconnect also works as originally configured.  When you check on the app it now says you are up to date.  I will use the app for a while and see how the update process works.  It will get one more chance and then I will continue to use ethernet.  Still not sure what caused this to happen.  I suspect my last update but that’s a guess.

Thanks for the support to you and everyone else who responded.

chetm

Message 21 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably a app issue that needs to be resolved by NG. 

Glad the factory reset worked. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 24
chetm
Tutor

Thanks. Will do. I’m spoiled. Too many years with an AirPort Extreme. It updated with out any fuss.

Regards

Chetm
Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

I hear ya. I think the world is going a bit over board with this app thing. Gotta a an app for everything. Just adds more problems to the mix. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7