Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR 50 with Satellite One Computer with Slow Speed

chuck_la
Aspirant

RBR 50 with Satellite One Computer with Slow Speed

I have just installed ORBI router and satellite.  They are about 20 feet apart but on two different floors.  My computer and my wife's computer are 20 feet from the satellite (right next to each other).  

We have a 400MB modem speed (tested and verified by Orbi app).

Wife's computer gets about 400MB while I get 10MB - 20MB speed.  It appears I am connecting to the router which is much farther away.  I have reduced the Transmit Power Control and that just slows down the speed.  I heard there is now solution but wanted to check one more time before returning it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

Re: RBR 50 with Satellite One Computer with Slow Speed

@chuck_la wrote:

I have just installed ORBI router and satellite.  They are about 20 feet apart but on two different floors.  My computer and my wife's computer are 20 feet from the satellite (right next to each other).  

We have a 400MB modem speed (tested and verified by Orbi app).

Wife's computer gets about 400MB while I get 10MB - 20MB speed. 

What is your wifi setup on your PC?

Message 2 of 4
chuck_la
Aspirant

Wifi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)

5 GHz

Message 3 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

Your problem is not the Orbi but your PC. The Orbi does not send out slower WIFI speeds to certain devices. The devices decide the speed connection, up to the maximum supported by the Orbi or any other WIFI system.

Assuming you are using Windows, go into device manager. Under View, click show hidden devices and remove everything you see that is greyed out and duplicate. Go to Network Adapters tab and Uninstall your WIFI device. Right Click any device  and Search for Hardware changes and let it find and install your WIFI device. You can also check to make sure you have the latest driver for your device.

Double click your WIFI device, go to Advanced tab and make sure your settings are correct. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7