Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR/RBS 50 firmware 2.7.3.22

scubabuddy
Tutor

Re: RBR50 + 2 x RBS 50 firmware went from 2.7.2.104 to 2.7.3.22 now no wired backhaul + app issues

Doing the full power off for some time (multiple times, I'd already tried it when I posted) eventually got me to something that recognised the Ethernet backhaul. Awaiting feedback on acceptance factor in the household, with 4~5 simultaneous wireless video conferences at any one time during the week with everyone working and schooling from home, it should become evident soon...

Message 26 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 + 2 x RBS 50 firmware went from 2.7.2.104 to 2.7.3.22 now no wired backhaul + app issues

Is the RBS directly connected to the back of the RBR or is there a switch in between?

@scubabuddy wrote:

Doing the full power off for some time (multiple times, I'd already tried it when I posted) eventually got me to something that recognised the Ethernet backhaul. Awaiting feedback on acceptance factor in the household, with 4~5 simultaneous wireless video conferences at any one time during the week with everyone working and schooling from home, it should become evident soon...

Message 27 of 66
scubabuddy
Tutor

There is a switch in between. The only other point of interest is that I have some (up to date) v1 SONOS equipment that I disconnected as well this time, because I had horrible problems with what I think was some spanning tree conflicts about a year ago. SONOS all set to Ethernet only in case you're wondering. Not sure if that was related or not, but with everyone highly reliant on the internet, now is not the time to experiment.

Oh and it is a "dumb switch, unmanaged, and I had also tried power cycling it both the first times when it all failed, and this time that it worked too.
Message 28 of 66
scubabuddy
Tutor

Some other things to add: the Orbi app on my phone now shoes the 2 satellites as connected (wired). Internet achieves ~920/47 2ms on FTTP so I suspect I wouldn't notice any streaming drops because it would catch up pretty quick. Unless the drops lasted for 5-10 seconds or more. When I look at real time internet usage (I have a EdgeRouterX between Orbi WAN and the real world) streaming I see big spikes where the playback device caches at high speeds, then big gaps.
Message 29 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Remove the switch from the middle or try a RBS directly connected to the back of the RBR and see if the problem continues. 

Yes SONOs have there own wifi and have been problematic with wifi routers. If ethernet is supported on SONOs it's recommended to use ethernet connections for SONOs.

@scubabuddy wrote:
There is a switch in between. The only other point of interest is that I have some (up to date) v1 SONOS equipment that I disconnected as well this time, because I had horrible problems with what I think was some spanning tree conflicts about a year ago. SONOS all set to Ethernet only in case you're wondering. Not sure if that was related or not, but with everyone highly reliant on the internet, now is not the time to experiment.

Oh and it is a "dumb switch, unmanaged, and I had also tried power cycling it both the first times when it all failed, and this time that it worked too.

Message 30 of 66
mmz06
Guide

@scubabuddy wrote:

RBR50 + 2 x RBS 50 firmware just upgraded from 2.7.2.104 to 2.7.3.22

* no "enable telnet" option, so no way to properly diagnose or fix

Hi there,

Facing the same issue, I could restore telnet access using the updated version of telnet-enable2.py, enabling back Telnet using V2.7.3.22: https://github.com/bkerler/netgear_telnet

I could push all my existing custom configuration (upnpc, automation, etc.) from here.

Hope this will help you as well...

Message 31 of 66
dburg
Aspirant

Same in RBR40/RBS20

Message 32 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post here for any 20 or 40 series issues:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2120304/high...

Please give details. 

Thank you. 

@dburg wrote:

Same in RBR40/RBS20

Message 33 of 66
Yosmany21
Aspirant

I just want to confirm because I've been racking my brain on this...half my devices on the attached devices list and the Orbi app show "offline" even though they are NOT offline.

This is a known issue on V2.7.3.22?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 34 of 66
pdeethardt
Apprentice

I don't believe it's an issue exclusive to 2.7.3.22 as I had the same problem with previous firmware versions. I suppose a factory reset might resolve the issue, but it's more of an annoyance for me more than anything so I haven't bothered.

@Yosmany21 wrote:
I just want to confirm because I've been racking my brain on this...half my devices on the attached devices list and the Orbi app show "offline" even though they are NOT offline.

This is a known issue on V2.7.3.22?

Message 35 of 66
Yosmany21
Aspirant

It may have been there before the update to 2.7.3.22, I didn't notice it until after I updated.

This update gave me more issues than any I've ever had. Duplicate IPs creating conflicts. One the saltellites randomly disconnects and reconnects, reduced internet upload speeds.

I figured having 50% of my devices showing as "offline" or not present on the network at all even though the are online or connected was just a side effect of a really bad firmware update.

Has anyone confirmed that a full factory reset fixes the issue?
Message 36 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

If you reset the RBR it's best to reset the RBS as well. Initial steps after a FW update is to power OFF the RBR and RBS and ISP modem. 

If this doesn't work to resolve odd isssues, then a reset would be next step.

@Yosmany21 wrote:
It may have been there before the update to 2.7.3.22, I didn't notice it until after I updated.

This update gave me more issues than any I've ever had. Duplicate IPs creating conflicts. One the saltellites randomly disconnects and reconnects, reduced internet upload speeds.

I figured having 50% of my devices showing as "offline" or not present on the network at all even though the are online or connected was just a side effect of a really bad firmware update.

Has anyone confirmed that a full factory reset fixes the issue?

Message 37 of 66
ialexusman
Aspirant

The current posting on the web site is incorrect. The zip file for the router RBR50 is fine the file for the RBS50 satellite contains the RBR50 image file as well. The RBS50 image is missing. I spoke with support and was disconnected during the call and no one has called back so . So I am currently half updated. (anyone aware of any pit falls running hybrid on firmware revs until update is posted correctly.

Message 38 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

Strange.  The *.img file inside the *.zip has the correct name for a satellite (RBS50...) Are you saying that the Orbi satellite refuses this file?

Message 39 of 66
Work48er
Aspirant

@mmz06 wrote:

@scubabuddy wrote:

RBR50 + 2 x RBS 50 firmware just upgraded from 2.7.2.104 to 2.7.3.22

* no "enable telnet" option, so no way to properly diagnose or fix

Hi there,

Facing the same issue, I could restore telnet access using the updated version of telnet-enable2.py, enabling back Telnet using V2.7.3.22: https://github.com/bkerler/netgear_telnet

I could push all my existing custom configuration (upnpc, automation, etc.) from here.

Hope this will help you as well...

Hi,

The tool sounds promising. However I wonder if you can clarify

1. How do you find the MAC address of br0 interface?
  2. It says the tool is for Netgear Orbi LBR20. Are you using LBR20? If not, did you need to make any changes to get it working with your Orbi router?

Thank you very much .

Joseph

Message 40 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

I use the Python script to enable telnet on RBR50 and RBS50.

I loaded Python 3 on Windows 10.  Learning enough about Python to get a script to run was a struggle for "the old guy".

Every time my Orbi router or satellite reboot, I run the Python script to enable telnet and then use telnet to do a couple of things.

The MAC address of the router shows up in the Attached Devices web page.

Message 41 of 66
scubabuddy
Tutor

Well in case anyone was wondering how I just recently (Christmas 2021) solved the problem of my Orbi updating to 2.7.3.22 and thus breaking wired backhaul and having various ongoing app issues...

Firstly a recap:

- wired backhaul became unreliable at best after Netgear forcibly updated my stable 2.7.2.104 Orbis to the crappy 2.7.3.22 firmware.

- The auto-update happened without my approval, and doesn't have any way of being stopped.

- The Orbi App kept reporting only one Satellite connected, but showed devices (that were working, albeit unreliably) connected to the other Satellite when you clicked into that Satellite (i.e. the app was broken too)

- No "enable telnet" option so the ability to diagnose & fix has been removed.

So in summary, Netgear forcibly updated to unreliable software, with no way back (just auto-updates again) and destroyed a previously functional network.

Now the solution:

- Get Officeworks to pricematch (and minus 5%) Bing Lee's current $329 offer on a Google Nest Wifi 3 Pack (router + 2 points). https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/google-nest-wifi-3-pack-1-router-and-2-points-sygg... and https://www.binglee.com.au/products/google-ga00823-nest-wifi-3-pack-one-router-and-two-points (valid to end of 2021)

- Rock solid performance, zero dropouts. I bought 2 of these 3-packs and also used the second Google Nest Router as a "point" (wired backhaul between the second Nest WAN to the "main" Nest LAN and it "just works")

- The SONOS (4 units all latest firmware with their wireless disabled, connected via a switch to the LAN of the Google Nest Wifi) also now just works consistently, instead of fighting with the Orbit and going randomly offline (suspect something to do with Spanning Tree Protocol, worked with 2.7.2.104 but another thing that the Netgear auto-update broke)

- WAF has moved to 100% and the kids have STFU about dropouts. So Netgear and their forcibly-updating Orbis can GaGF.

Worth every cent (the Google Nest Wifi that is). Yeah, there is nothing to configure, no knobs to play with, no telnet console (to my knowledge) etc etc. But unlike the Orbi with the 2.7.3.22 firmware, the Google equipment actually just works, so no real need.

Message 42 of 66
JusttestFW
Aspirant

The new firmware has come out and again we are having intermittent dropping issues.  I have tried to revert to an older code and set the autoupgrade parameters to 0 but the router still upgrades during the night.  This upgrade also takes away the telnet option from the debug menu.  I am not happy with having to work on this issue about every other firmware update. Netgear can you help your user community out and get this issue fixed.

Message 43 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you mean by "intermittent dropping issues"? What is happening? 

Top ring LED turn ON? if so, color of LED? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Try this version of FW? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Missing-Connected-Devices/m-p/2142349/highlight/true#M126110

@JusttestFW wrote:

The new firmware has come out and again we are having intermittent dropping issues.  I have tried to revert to an older code and set the autoupgrade parameters to 0 but the router still upgrades during the night.  This upgrade also takes away the telnet option from the debug menu.  I am not happy with having to work on this issue about every other firmware update. Netgear can you help your user community out and get this issue fixed.

Message 44 of 66
JusttestFW
Aspirant

The connectivity drops out and the light on the router goes white and strobes for about 2 min then it picks back up again.  I have tried everything in your list multiple times.  The ISP is directly connected to the ORBI and receives the IP address from the ISP.  I use pingplotter to watch when it drops and to see how long it stays down.  I have had several different versions of firmware that have worked just fine and several versions that have the intermittent drop issue.  This last update looks like they are trying to cut out our ability to downgrade and turn off auto update.  

Message 45 of 66
JusttestFW
Aspirant

OK I will give the new code a try and let you know.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What do you mean by "intermittent dropping issues"? What is happening? 

Top ring LED turn ON? if so, color of LED? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Try this version of FW? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Missing-Connected-Devices/m-p/2142349/highlight/true#M126110

@JusttestFW wrote:

Message 46 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

@JusttestFW wrote:

The connectivity drops out and the light on the router goes white and strobes for about 2 min then it picks back up again.  I have tried everything in your list multiple times.  The ISP is directly connected to the ORBI and receives the IP address from the ISP.  I use pingplotter to watch when it drops and to see how long it stays down.  I have had several different versions of firmware that have worked just fine and several versions that have the intermittent drop issue.  This last update looks like they are trying to cut out our ability to downgrade and turn off auto update.  

Message 47 of 66
JusttestFW
Aspirant

I tried the new firmware and it is still dropping connections.  I did go to the debug page and noticed that the CPU was at 100%, after it came back down the connectivity returned.  Has anyone seen this type of behavior before?  Any help would be appreciated.

Message 48 of 66
JusttestFW
Aspirant

Orbi.png

Message 49 of 66
Mikey94025
Hero

@JusttestFW wrote:

I tried the new firmware and it is still dropping connections.  I did go to the debug page and noticed that the CPU was at 100%, after it came back down the connectivity returned.  Has anyone seen this type of behavior before?  Any help would be appreciated.

In your debug page screenshot the system uptime is also only 1 min 49 sec.  So your system is rebooting or restarting, which can also account for losing connectivity.  Did your system also restart unexpectedly on the older firmware version?

Message 50 of 66
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7