Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR/RBS 50 firmware 2.7.3.22

JusttestFW
Aspirant

I have watched this several times as the CPU gets higher then usually I have an outage followed by the router strobing white.  This may be a reboot because of the CPU getting too high, I dont know.  Working with such a long time with a $300 product is not a very efficient use of my time, I am looking at the google nest products, I guess I just need to bite the bullet and scrap these devices.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 51 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 52 of 66
JusttestFW
Aspirant

The ONT device is ADTRAN GPON 452

Message 53 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you update FW yet? 

Something to try, disconnect the RBR from the ONT. Turn OFF all RBS.

Factory reset and RBR and setup from scratch with the RBR disconnected from the ONT. Walk thru the setup wizard. 

Don't enable Armor, Circle or Traffic Meter. 

Go in and check the CPU usage with 1 wired PC connected to the RBR. Does the CPU usage track upwards on it's own or maintain a certain level? 

What CAT# LAN cable connects the ONT to the RBR? CAT6 is recommended.

@JusttestFW wrote:

The ONT device is ADTRAN GPON 452

Message 54 of 66
tagteam
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Did you update FW yet?

No offense but update the firmware with what? The current firmware is over 7 months old. Has Netgear given up on this product?

Message 55 of 66
JusttestFW
Aspirant

On to Google Mesh, bye NetgearOn to Google Mesh, bye Netgear

Message 56 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 57 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Missing-Connected-Devices/m-p/2143646#M126249

@tagteam wrote:

No offense but update the firmware with what? The current firmware is over 7 months old. Has Netgear given up on this product?

Message 58 of 66
tagteam
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Missing-Connected-Devices/m-p/2143646#M126249

@tagteam wrote:

Again, no offsense but that firmware does not appear in the Downloads section nor in the Admin section of the UI (it shows no new firmware version). Further, that release is still well over 5 months old.

Message 59 of 66
CrimpOn
Guru

If you are ready to bin the Orbi, what would be the harm in installing V2.7.3.23?  Takes maybe 30 minutes.  If the Orbi performs no better, what have you lost?

I was given this same version last August, and my Orbi has been fine ever since.  To be completely honest, I never seem to experience issues that plague others.  This may be because I have never enabled Parental Controls, Armor, or Access Control.

Message 60 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Up to you if you want to try it, or not. We don't get information on when FW updates is forth coming. So you'll have to wait and be patient. 

@tagteam wrote:

Again, no offsense but that firmware does not appear in the Downloads section nor in the Admin section of the UI (it shows no new firmware version). Further, that release is still well over 5 months old.

Message 61 of 66
JusttestFW
Aspirant

Yep I put the new .23 version on the Orbi and it actually got worse the outage would happen every 5 min and it was intolerable.  I think netgear may have had issues with hardware.  I always noticed the CPU going to 99% right before it would go out and reboot.

Message 62 of 66
tagteam
Virtuoso

@CrimpOn wrote:

If you are ready to bin the Orbi, what would be the harm in installing V2.7.3.23?  Takes maybe 30 minutes.  If the Orbi performs no better, what have you lost?

I was given this same version last August, and my Orbi has been fine ever since.  To be completely honest, I never seem to experience issues that plague others.  This may be because I have never enabled Parental Controls, Armor, or Access Control.

Yep, ditto. To be perfectly clear, I am not having issues with my Orbi system nor have I EVER had issues with my Orbi system (going on about 5 years now).

I was merely curious as to why Netgear had not updated the firmware in quite some time when they appeared to be doing so quite often over the first 3-4 years after the system was released.

Frankly, I don't care provided they're taking care of any security vulnerabilities that may arise. Other than that, I'm fine with the current firmware since it's not causing any issues on my end (at least none of which I am aware).

Message 63 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch after applying the FW update? 

@JusttestFW wrote:

Yep I put the new .23 version on the Orbi and it actually got worse the outage would happen every 5 min and it was intolerable.  I think netgear may have had issues with hardware.  I always noticed the CPU going to 99% right before it would go out and reboot.

Message 64 of 66
FURRYe38
Guru

And doesn't mean that there not working on something. Also Orbi AC, being the more matured product line, may not require as frequent FW updates as new Orbi AX so NG maybe prioritizing FW updates across Orbi product lines. 

"If it's working, Don't Fix it!!!." No offence. 

Message 65 of 66
tagteam
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

And doesn't mean that there not working on something. Also Orbi AC, being the more matured product line, may not require as frequent FW updates as new Orbi AX so NG maybe prioritizing FW updates across Orbi product lines. 

"If it's working, Don't Fix it!!!." No offence. 

Can't disagree with anything you wrote. As I mentioned, just curious as to whether the company had essentially abandoned the product line completely. I would tend to doubt that, but then it's only logical that they would want users of older products to upgrade to the latest hardware.

Message 66 of 66
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7