Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR/RBS10 Mesh wifi

RobAllen
Aspirant

RBR/RBS10 Mesh wifi

Hello all. I have an Orbi mesh wifi setup. Comprising RBR10 and 2 RBS10 satellites. My question is regarding dhcp. If I disable dhcp on the RBR10 does the mesh system then just act as wifi repeater/signal booster and leave dhcp the my ISPS router?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR/RBS10 Mesh wifi

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. There should be a AP mode setting though under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings for that. 

Message 2 of 7
RobAllen
Aspirant

So I need to disable router mode and select AP instead so it just emulates the existing wifi correct?

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. 

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@RobAllen wrote:

So I need to disable router mode and select AP instead so it just emulates the existing wifi correct?

My Orbi has a check box on the Advanced Tab->Setup->LAN Setup page:

"Use router as DHCP server" (see attached image).

I had thought that this  means what it says and the Orbi can stay in router mode but not be a DHCP server.

I cannot test this because my modem is "only a modem" and if I turn off DHCP then I will have no DHCP.

Message 5 of 7
RobAllen
Aspirant

I have cable Router with built in dhcp so dont therefore need the Orbi used as dhcp but as good access point.

Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@RobAllen wrote:

I have cable Router with built in dhcp so dont therefore need the Orbi used as dhcp but as good access point.

The discussion has wandered from the original question, "can the Orbi DHCP server be turned off" to a different topic:

"Is it a good idea to have the Orbi as a router connected to another router?"  Thousands of Orbi owners do this and experience no problems.  (They just unbox the Orbi, plug it in, start using it, and are happy.)

However, this is technically a "Double NAT" condition, which can seriously impede specific network applications, such as VPN, opening port to expose servers to the internet, and some internet gaming.  A Google search will turn up many explanations, such as the one from Netgear: https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

Putting the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode is one solution that is often suggested. That has a side-effect of eliminating a host of Orbi features: https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Disabled-Features-on-the-Orbi-when-set-to-AP-Mode  If you want to use Armor or Circle, then the Orbi has to stay a router.

There is no "right answer", as long as you are aware of the situation.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7