Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR and RBS 50 handoff issues with streaming devices

bmartz1
Follower

RBR and RBS 50 handoff issues with streaming devices

Bit of a detailed issue...

I'm running RBR50 w/ 2 RBS50s in a 3600 sq ft home.  RBR is upstairs on one end of house, RBS 1 is upstairs on the other end of the house (at least 100ft away) and RBS 2 is downstairs on same end of the house as router upstairs (solid floor in between + brick chimney).

My issue is with accessing connected devices on my iphone as I handoff from RBR to RBS moving throughout the house.  I have networked streaming audio players (Naim Atom), one is hardwired and another is wifi -- both from the same RBS satellite (Atoms support 2.4ghz and 5ghz connections, btw).  When sitting inside with my iphone connected to either RBS, I can open the Naim audio player app and can see both devices.  When I go outside on my patio, which then handsoff to the RBR router, I no longer see either device in the app.  I only see a different device (another media player) which is connected to the RBR.  After some period of time, going back inside and outside, etc -- I'm sometimes able to see and control all the devices from the app outside.  Totally hit or miss, no recurring root cause.  I have to think this is related to the handoff between satellies and router (and maybe also related to iphone switching back and forth between 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz in process).  No issues as far as I know with the Naim players and app.  All Orbis are running latest firmware.

Are there any settings in the Orbi's that can make the handoffs more stable, or force my iphone to connect to the same router or satellite, or always connect in 5ghz?  I have screen shots of the orbi admin device list that show when my phone is connected to satellite vs router.

Appreciate any thoughts you have!

Message 1 of 3
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: RBR and RBS 50 handoff issues with streaming devices

Hard to say, but my instict is saying that your Satellites are just too far away from your router to handle proper handoff for your device.

Message 2 of 3
st_shaw
Master

Re: RBR and RBS 50 handoff issues with streaming devices

I agree with @aaz that the router to satellite distance is probably too long.

It would be best to put the router in the middle of the house and the sats on either end.  Run Cat5e from the ISP entry point to a central point for the router.

If it's impossible to move the router to the center of your house, you might get better results with daisy-chain enabled.  Put the router on end end, first sat in the middle, and the second sat on the far end.  The signal for the far sat should go through the middle sat with daisy-chain enabled.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7