Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR10-100NAS Playstation 4 wifi disconnect

MikefromPA
Aspirant

RBR10-100NAS Playstation 4 wifi disconnect

I have RBR10 router (RBR10 did not show up in model selection above) with two satellites which are RBS10.  The router is on main floor with one sat on second floor and one in basement all placed near middle of home.  I have great connectivity and strong signal.  My Playstation 4 sits 18 inches away from one of the satellites.  Over the last couple days it went from working perfectly to disconnecting from the wifi during gameplay and even when I am not even in a game, just powered up.  Using the app I see nothing out of order with my service and I have not noticed issues with other devices.  We have a nice mix of Android, Apple and Windows along with Smart home devices connected.  I am not seeing issues elsewhere.  It is now so bad, I can't make it through a game without ridiculous lag and missing game frames such that I am moving around and 5 seconds later the game catches up and I am not where I thought I was.  

New cable modem and Orbi mesh router system purchased in November.  Playstation purchased (used) just before Christmas.  It has been rock solid in online gameplay until two days ago.  At first it was only one game, then today it happened with another game so it is not a particular game's servers.  Network signal in settings is at 100.  

Any help on things to check or possible fixes is most appreciated.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
vajim
Master

Re: RBR10-100NAS Playstation 4 wifi disconnect

any recent firmware updates?

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@MikefromPA wrote:

I have RBR10 router (RBR10 did not show up in model selection above) with two satellites which are RBS10.  The router is on main floor with one sat on second floor and one in basement all placed near middle of home.  I have great connectivity and strong signal.  My Playstation 4 sits 18 inches away from one of the satellites.  Over the last couple days it went from working perfectly to disconnecting from the wifi during gameplay and even when I am not even in a game, just powered up.  Using the app I see nothing out of order with my service and I have not noticed issues with other devices.  We have a nice mix of Android, Apple and Windows along with Smart home devices connected.  I am not seeing issues elsewhere.  It is now so bad, I can't make it through a game without ridiculous lag and missing game frames such that I am moving around and 5 seconds later the game catches up and I am not where I thought I was.  

New cable modem and Orbi mesh router system purchased in November.  Playstation purchased (used) just before Christmas.  It has been rock solid in online gameplay until two days ago.  At first it was only one game, then today it happened with another game so it is not a particular game's servers.  Network signal in settings is at 100.  

Message 3 of 10
vajim
Master

any recent firmware updates?

Message 4 of 10
MikefromPA
Aspirant

Tough to say.  PS4 updates as needed and every other time I log in there, something is updating.  What is interesting is that about 2 days after I posted this request, things started working again.  I still get the infrequent dropped network connection on my Ps4.  I even saw it when playing another game.  It is so infrequent at this point as to not be an issue at all.  

I searched for solutions from others and tried a few things like setting PS4 to only 5g and then only 2.4ghz band.  Nothing fixed it until the issue went away as quietly as it began.

Message 5 of 10
vajim
Master

how about your Orbi firmware history?

Message 6 of 10
MikefromPA
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@MikefromPA wrote:

First off, thanks so much for such a detailed answer.  For those reading this, the issue appeared out of nowhere and went out the same way after a week or so.  I tried a few things I found on the internet to set on the PS4.  Every now and then I still get a network disconnect but once a week or so is fine for me.  

Easy questions first, cable modem and router sit inches from each other on first floor near mid area of home.  Satellites, one on second floor and basement floor are as close to mid-point of home as feasible as well.  Throughput testing has been fantastic.  

I have 4-5 wi-fi neighbors nearby and I used to do some channel adjusting with my old modem/router combo.  I have mainly used the gui on the Orbi system.  

I am not sure what changed but the issue went away and I have been enjoying my Orbi.  I have a 300mbs plan and my provider has a 600 and recent 1.2Ghz offering.  We have over 20 devices in our home and I see no need to upgrade at all.

Message 7 of 10
MikefromPA
Aspirant

Ok I found the firmware version and it is V2.3.6.18.  I don't know where to search for previous history.  I believe it updates as needed.

Message 8 of 10
vajim
Master

@MikefromPA wrote:

Ok I found the firmware version and it is V2.3.6.18.  I don't know where to search for previous history.  I believe it updates as needed.

Not familar with the RBR10 and its share of firmware problems.

if you haven't already you may want to perform a factory reset.  once it settles down, leave it alone to include no manual firmware updates using the app.

Netgear should be pushing auto updates when needed.

OR...if you knew the firrmware when you system last performed with no problems, then revert manually back

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You might do this, eitther wired the PS to the Orbi system or maybe look into getting a wireless bridge option for the PS that you can wire connec to this bridge and have the bridge connect to the Orbi wifi. Seen it were game console wifi systems are not being handled well by the mfr thus causing problesm at the console level. Xbox X series also is now experiencing problems that MS needs to fix. To avoid this wifi hassle, use a wired connection or a wired connection to a wireless bridge. Those wifi problems should disappear. 

@MikefromPA wrote:

Tough to say.  PS4 updates as needed and every other time I log in there, something is updating.  What is interesting is that about 2 days after I posted this request, things started working again.  I still get the infrequent dropped network connection on my Ps4.  I even saw it when playing another game.  It is so infrequent at this point as to not be an issue at all.  

I searched for solutions from others and tried a few things like setting PS4 to only 5g and then only 2.4ghz band.  Nothing fixed it until the issue went away as quietly as it began.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7