Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 Blocked all access to router settings

Mahers
Aspirant

RBR20 Blocked all access to router settings

I've had the Orbi RBR20 and one satellite for a while and really like it. Today, I added a new device to my network and accessed the settings to rename it. While in there, I wanted to turn on Access Control and prevent all new devices from connecting to my wifi. After I turned that feature on, and tried to do another task, I was met with a message, "This device is blocked by Access Control in the router." I tried to log into the router from my laptop, phone, work laptop, and a chromebook. All of them give me the same message. In the Orbi app on my phone, I can't log into the router unless I turn off wifi. All the devices are connected and working fine, but I can no longer access the router to change Access Control. I do NOT want to reset the router, so I am really hoping there is another solution. PLEASE HELP!
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR20 Blocked all access to router settings

@Mahers wrote:
I've had the Orbi RBR20 and one satellite for a while and really like it. Today, I added a new device to my network and accessed the settings to rename it. While in there, I wanted to turn on Access Control and prevent all new devices from connecting to my wifi. After I turned that feature on, and tried to do another task, I was met with a message, "This device is blocked by Access Control in the router." I tried to log into the router from my laptop, phone, work laptop, and a chromebook. All of them give me the same message. In the Orbi app on my phone, I can't log into the router unless I turn off wifi. All the devices are connected and working fine, but I can no longer access the router to change Access Control. I do NOT want to reset the router, so I am really hoping there is another solution. PLEASE HELP!

Can you please explain the emphasized sentence?  What it sounds like is the section at the bottom of "Blocked devices that are not connected right now" included all of your devices and activating Access Control blocked them.

Message 2 of 10
Mahers
Aspirant

@CrimpOn Sorry. That sentence is in reference to using the mobile app on my phone. I have to disconnect my phone from wifi in order for the app to let me in.  But even in the mobile app, I cant't turn off the "Block all new devices" setting. I can only pause internet access to each device.  All of my devices are on, and connected and working fine, but I can't log into the router settings from any device to turn that setting off. (No idea why it's even an option. Every time I try to use it, it seems to mess things up.)

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mahers wrote:

@CrimpOn Sorry. That sentence is in reference to using the mobile app on my phone. I have to disconnect my phone from wifi in order for the app to let me in.  But even in the mobile app, I cant't turn off the "Block all new devices" setting. I can only pause internet access to each device.  All of my devices are on, and connected and working fine, but I can't log into the router settings from any device to turn that setting off. (No idea why it's even an option. Every time I try to use it, it seems to mess things up.)

Thanks for the explanation.  (I should have figured that out myself.)

This is really strange.  On the laptop, for example, which is "working", when you browse to the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net), and authenticate ("admin" and password), does it let you do anything?  (Display Attached Devices?  Look at the Guest Network page?)

Message 4 of 10
Mahers
Aspirant

@CrimpOn I can't even get to the login page. If I go to the www.orbilogin.com or ip address, the message immediately appears. I just unplugged the router and plugged it back in, but same problem. 

Message 5 of 10
Mahers
Aspirant

Actually, things just went from bad to worse. The power down has caused every single device to now show as an "unsecured" connection, preventing internet access altogether. Unbelievable.
Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

You also probably cannot access http://<ip of orbi>/debug.htm

Message 7 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Just to double check, can you connect the laptop to the Orbi with an ethernet cable?

(I am astounded that the latest laptops typically do not include an ethernet jack)

Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Paperclip reset is all that's left.  Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

Message 9 of 10
Mahers
Aspirant

I think you're right. I reset my modem, restarted the router, and now NOTHING connects to the internet.  I do have an ethernet connection on my laptop, but even a direct connection to the router says "no internet", so looks like I have no choice. All because I was trying to  use a normal security setting that Netgear makes readily available to users of their products. Wonderful. Thanks for trying. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7