Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 Disable Wi-Fi on connected router

HippyEverAfter
Aspirant

RBR20 Disable Wi-Fi on connected router

Hi,

Just set up an Orbi with two satellites connected to my R700 Nighthawk router. I read somewhere that it was suggested to turn of the Wireless on the R700 for best performance. If i do this can the ethernet sockets still be used on the R700 and is it necessary?. Have also noticed in the Netgear Genie App i am signed into the 5Ghz range as Netgear-guest is this normal or do i need to adjust some settings?. Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes It's recommended to disable all wifi on the R700(0) router and use the Orbi system in AP mode. All LAN ports on the R700(0) router will be enabled for use. LAN ports on routers can't be disabled. Use the LAN ports on the back of the R700(0) router for connections with the Orbi RBR in AP mode. 

Try the Nighthawk router app instead of Genie. Genie is going away I believe. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 4
HippyEverAfter
Aspirant

Thank you for your response however have had problems connecting to one of my Bluesound end points? today. Could not get my Roon Nucleus to recognise that particular end point but the other two were fine?. Went back to my Netgear plugin extenders and everything is working good at the moment. I am sure the Orbi is a good product but it seems not in my situation. Not withstanding the previous comments i am having Vodafone Gigabit internet installed next week and are hoping to continue using my Nighthawk router with that service. Once again thank you.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck in your endeavours. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements