Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 Firmware Update & Smart TV Problem

RBR20 Firmware Update & Smart TV Problem

Yesterday I downloaded the latest firmware update (Router Firmware Version V2.5.1.16) and after doing the update my Samsung TV is connected to my Orbi Wireless Router / Mesh yet cannot get to the internet. Everything was fine before the update. I have rebouted my internet service, rebooted the Orbi and reset the network access on the TV all to no avail. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR20 Firmware Update & Smart TV Problem

Glad that worked. Mark your thread as solved. 

Enjoy. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? Try this...

Message 2 of 13

My internet service is Xfinity / Comcast and my cable modem is a Netgear Nighthawk CM1150V.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Affter the reset, 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 4 of 13

Do I do that via the Orbi App?

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 
https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 6 of 13

Thanks will try tomorrow when I have more time.

Message 7 of 13

This is not an answer to your question.

But if, like me, you prefer an easy life that gets rid of that sort of hassle, consider using Powerline Ethernet to connect things that don't move around, like TVs.

TVs are famously bad at setting up and maintaining wifi connections. Wired is better on both fronts. It can also be faster than wifi. If you can't wire direct, Powerline is a good substitute.

Message 8 of 13

That sounds and looks simpler.

Thank-you.

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how this turns out. 

Message 10 of 13

I purchased for $ 85 from best Buy:

NETGEAR - Powerline AC1200 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (2-pack) 

Model:PL1200-100PAS
SKU:4002029

It worked great and took 5 minutes set up. I was able to restore internet access to my Smart TV.

John
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that worked. Mark your thread as solved. 

Enjoy. 

Message 12 of 13

@GolfingArtist wrote:

I purchased for $ 85 from best Buy:

NETGEAR - Powerline AC1200 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (2-pack) 

Model:PL1200-100PAS
SKU:4002029

It worked great and took 5 minutes set up. I was able to restore internet access to my Smart TV.

That's good. Glad I wasn't completely mad. I have never looked back since going Powerline.

There is no reason not to have PL1200 plugs, with their Gbps Ethernet, but unless it is a new smart (ho ho) TV, it will happily work with slower and cheaper 100 Mbps plugs. Streaming doesn't need Gbps. But, as I say, nothing lost.

There are a few wrinkles with Powerline, not helped by Netgear's failure to provide supporting software. No need to worry about that until you have problems. But come back if there are any.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7