Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 Firmware update available per email but not available via app or online??

sc2425
Follower

RBR20 Firmware update available per email but not available via app or online??

RBR20 Firmware update available per email but not available via app or online??  Ideas?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
JudiF
Aspirant

Re: RBR20 Firmware update available per email but not available via app or online??

I have the same issue. I found a place to download the zip file v2.3.5.36 but I don't knowwhat to do with it. It doesn't unzip on my IPad.

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

unzipping on an iPad appears to be possible. https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/how-to-unzip-a-zip-file-with-your-iphone-or-ipads-files-app/ 

Looks like there are different methods depending on which version of iOS is on the iPad.

Message 3 of 9
JudiF
Aspirant

Thanks, I was able to unzip it but it appears I have to manually update the firmware. I think I'll wait until they fix the app. 

Message 4 of 9
IrwinG70
Tutor

Firmware update from 2.3.5.26 to 2.3.5.36 (available per email dated 12/21/19) seems to only work with manual download.  Check for update on ios app and computer browser admin login show current firmware (2.2.5.26) as current.  Past updates only worked through the browser admin login for me, never through the ios app.

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Which firmware version to run on a specific Orbi and how to get it loaded are "hot topics" on this community forum.  People have strong opinions which generally break down into (a) "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", (b) "I don't want to miss out on security updates and bug fixes that I may need but simply don't know about," and (c) "My Orbi is not working like I think it should and I hope this new firmware fixes my problem."

People in group C are often the first to install new firmware.  They have a definite incentive. (to fix a problem).

People in group B are often lured into installing new firmware because Netgear sent them an email or a notice popped up on their Orbi app or the Orbi web interface.  "Hey, Netgear says to do this, so I'll be good and do it."  If they never look at the app or web interface (and don't get emails from Netgear), they can go years without updating firmware.

My position is "Wait and See."  When new firmware comes out, I check the community forum to see what people are reporting.  2.5.0.38 looked like it might solve some problems, but almost immediately people began to report issues.  "Think I'll pass on this one."  Now, 2.5.1 looks like it might be a "winner".  If reports are still positive after the new year, I'll probably save a copy of my configuration (so I can go back) and install it.

Everybody's situation and attitude is different.

Message 6 of 9
IrwinG70
Tutor

@CrimpOn wrote:

Which firmware version to run on a specific Orbi and how to get it loaded are "hot topics" on this community forum.  People have strong opinions which generally break down into (a) "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", (b) "I don't want to miss out on security updates and bug fixes that I may need but simply don't know about," and (c) "My Orbi is not working like I think it should and I hope this new firmware fixes my problem."

People in group C are often the first to install new firmware.  They have a definite incentive. (to fix a problem).

People in group B are often lured into installing new firmware because Netgear sent them an email or a notice popped up on their Orbi app or the Orbi web interface.  "Hey, Netgear says to do this, so I'll be good and do it."  If they never look at the app or web interface (and don't get emails from Netgear), they can go years without updating firmware.

My position is "Wait and See."  When new firmware comes out, I check the community forum to see what people are reporting.  2.5.0.38 looked like it might solve some problems, but almost immediately people began to report issues.  "Think I'll pass on this one."  Now, 2.5.1 looks like it might be a "winner".  If reports are still positive after the new year, I'll probably save a copy of my configuration (so I can go back) and install it.

I think "wait and see" is the best way to go for now.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 9
IrwinG70
Tutor

RBR20/RBS20 Firmware update (V2.3.5.36) problem

Recently received email with firmware update to V 2.3.5.36.  Had been running V2.3.5.26.  Had to update manually from PC as autoupdate did not work.  Made mistake of updating router 1st.  Unsuccessfully tried to update satellite with autoupdate, and then manually by logging directly into satellite, but RBS20 update file (V2.3.5.36) was reported as incompatible.  System continues to operate, with router on V2.3.5.36 and satellite on V2.3.5.26.  How can satellite be updated to V2.3.5.36 or how do I fix this problem?

Message 8 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@CrimpOn wrote:

I vote for option A

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7