Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 Firmware update not showing up in Check update

OrbiOwner9904
Follower

RBR20 Firmware update not showing up in Check update

I got an email from Netgear that there is a security update for RBR20 (currently on version V2.5.1.16). When i go to the IOS app or the Web browser there is no firmware update showing up. I checked Negear support website for latest firmware and it seems there is a new firmware available (2.6.1.36) higher than my version. I woudn't worry about this normnally but considering this is a security update, i would like to update. My confirguration is below:

RBR20, V2.5.1.16, macOS 11.1, iOS 14.2

RBS20 V2.5.1.16, macOS 11.1, iOS 14.2

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
vajim
Master

Then don't worry about it

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@OrbiOwner9904 wrote:

I woudn't worry about this normnally but considering this is a security update, i would like to update. My confirguration is below:

There is considerable discussion on the forum about this email from Netgear and what might be the best thing for customers to do.  Some people are getting email, others (such as me) are not.  Netgear provides no useful information about what the "security issue" is or how serious it is.  Considering that WiFi routers do not accept connections from the internet unless the user has authorized them, people are confused, and opinions are running high.

My advice is, "when the Orbi app or Orbi web interface provide a link to update firmware, you can do it if you want."  However, no one ever takes my advice, so............

In the absence of a formal method to update firmware, the only thing a user can do is download the new firmware from the Netgear support site, unpack the "img" files from the "zip" files, log onto the Orbi units and select the Manual Update tab.  There is a general feeliing that the satellite should be updated first.

Once again, it appears that Netgear's left hand and right hand are not coordinated.

Message 3 of 10
fmalloy
Luminary

You'd also have to visit the RBS20

@CrimpOn wrote:

@OrbiOwner9904 wrote:

I woudn't worry about this normnally but considering this is a security update, i would like to update. My confirguration is below:

In the absence of a formal method to update firmware, the only thing a user can do is download the new firmware from the Netgear support site, unpack the "img" files from the "zip" files, log onto the Orbi units and select the Manual Update tab.  There is a general feeliing that the satellite should be updated first.

If you have RBS20 satellites you'll want to visit the RBS20 Firmware and Downloads web page, and download the .zip for that. The version for RBS20 is 2.6.1.38 (new RBR20 is 2.6.1.36).

Personally, after what I have been reading on this forum (new problems with new firmware, also flat-out bricked routers) I'm very nervous about updating firmware, unfortunately. The fact that you have to manually update the satellites first, then the router puts too much on the user, and is quite frankly, ridiculous.

My father in law has a Google mesh system and it just updates itself and the satellites silently and automatically. No downloading of multiple .zip files from multiple locations, no worry about order of installation. How it should be. 

Message 4 of 10
fmalloy
Luminary

@CrimpOn wrote:

@OrbiOwner9904 wrote:

There is considerable discussion on the forum about this email from Netgear and what might be the best thing for customers to do.  Some people are getting email, others (such as me) are not.  Netgear provides no useful information about what the "security issue" is or how serious it is. 

Not only that, they are famous for making other bug fixes and possible enhancements without including them in their terse release notes. Companies often don't report bug fixes; I don't know why they would do this, perhaps they don't want people to know their firmware has bugs?

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Updating the RBS first then RBR is mostly for manual updates where users download the FW files and apply those files to the RBS web page then RBR. I have tried recently with v102 and let the RBR update the RBS as well and it does work. So using the RBRs web page and using the UPDATE ALL function seems to work for that function. 

Message 6 of 10
fmalloy
Luminary

It's posts like this that make me reluctant to update firmware:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Unable-to-access-the-admin-page-after-firmware-update/m-p/2030...

Message 7 of 10
vajim
Master

@fmalloy wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Unable-to-access-the-admin-page-after-firmware-update/m-p/2030...

So stop 

Message 8 of 10
fmalloy
Luminary

@vajim wrote:

@fmalloy wrote:

So stop 

Sure, but then I miss out on the security update and any other fixes, like the issue I'm having where WiFi speed slows after x number of days.

Message 9 of 10
vajim
Master

@fmalloy wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@fmalloy wrote:

So stop 

Sure, but then I miss out on the security update and any other fixes, like the issue I'm having where WiFi speed slows after x number of days.

Ok.  If you believe that there are others here you should join.   

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7