Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 Lockup once a day

Pat75
Aspirant

RBR20 Lockup once a day

Hello fellow Orbi-users,

I bought a RBK23 about 1,5 weeks ago after installing the Orbi Router (RBR20) and 2 satellites (RBS20) I've experienced lockups of the router at least once every day. Wifi Analyzer app show my network SSID's are stil visible but router doesn't do anything anymore (over wireless at least haven't checked cabled yet tbh). Yesterday I found out there was a newer FW (2.5.1.16) then the web-interface stated it was up-to-date (2.3.5.30) and installed that on satellites first and then the router, still issues. I just now did a factory reset of both Router and Satellites. Fingers crossed. What are the recommended settings and the recommended firmware version to get a stable solution?

Kind Regards fro the Netherlands,

Patrick

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR20 Lockup once a day

@Pat75 wrote:

What are the recommended settings and the recommended firmware version to get a stable solution

That is a good question.  The usual situation is people have updated the firmware, find problems, and are advised to "go back" to 2.3.5.30.

I suspect the problem is independent of the firmware release.  Are you able to access the Orbi web interface when the internet connection fails?  It would be interesting to learn what the Orbi thinks about the DHCP lease from the internet service provider.  That can be found on the Advanced Tab Home Page. Click on the button "Connection Status".

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Sometimes a factory reset is needed to clear out any prior configurations or older FW code. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR20-RBS20-2-5-1-16-firmware-observations/m-p/1897766/highlig...

@Pat75 wrote:

Hello fellow Orbi-users,

I bought a RBK23 about 1,5 weeks ago after installing the Orbi Router (RBR20) and 2 satellites (RBS20) I've experienced lockups of the router at least once every day. Wifi Analyzer app show my network SSID's are stil visible but router doesn't do anything anymore (over wireless at least haven't checked cabled yet tbh). Yesterday I found out there was a newer FW (2.5.1.16) then the web-interface stated it was up-to-date (2.3.5.30) and installed that on satellites first and then the router, still issues. I just now did a factory reset of both Router and Satellites. Fingers crossed. What are the recommended settings and the recommended firmware version to get a stable solution?

Kind Regards fro the Netherlands,

Patrick

Message 3 of 5
Pat75
Aspirant

If and when it lockups i'll try to find out. But since the two laptops that I have don't have a wired connection I need to find a workaround for that. As somebody working in IT I think i'm having to put way too much work effort in this product to just get it to work already. And a product totally locking up if you put a satellite too near, come on then you just haven't thought about it being a consumer product. Factory Reset was done some 12 hours ago so we'll see If we get though the 24 hours mark. I've had my ISP (Ziggo) bridge my Arris cablemodem and the Orbi is in Router mode from the beginning. Maybe I need to go back to normal cablemodem settings with AP mode for the Orbi, but thats not why I bought it. Giving it a few more days but then I'll give in to my frustration and just return it and search for a wifi mesh solution that does work out-of-the-box and it won't be a Netgear. I do think it's peculiar that you don't find any negative reviews online but you do find lots and lots of people with the same issue on the forums.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I certainly hope this "takes".  I have been tempted to look at other products, but when I browse their user forums, I see the same sorts of frustrations.  If my Orbi were behaving the way some people's are, it would have been "gone" a long time ago.  My old R7000 didn't cover the entire house, but it never "failed".  (and, I still have it "in reserve" should disaster strike.)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7