Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20/RBS20 2.5.1.16 firmware observations

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RBR20/RBS20 2.5.1.16 firmware observations

Hi all,

I upgraded my RBR20 and RBS20 to 2.5.1.16 firmware last week. Previously they were running 2.3.5.38 firmware.

A couple of observations:

The release notes say "Enhances the device recognition mechanism of the attached devices list" which is certainly the case. There are presentation improvements and the list seems to keep itself sorted out in a timely fashion and at boot time compared with the 2.5.1.x firmware.

The big (undocumented) change for me has been much improved reliability of satellite wireless backhaul syncing. Previously the satellite might take some time to resync if the router was rebooted or a configuration change was made that dropped sync. Sometimes the sync would fail, or the satellite would sync over 2.4G instead of 5G. The physical location relative to the router made no difference. Now the satellite syncs faster and so far 100% reliably on 5G. The physical location and distance between devices made no difference to these behaviours.

Just my observations. Your mileage may vary but 2.5.1.16 looks the goods so far.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

One thing to try when you encounter problems, pre or post FW updates, factory reset the system and setup from scratch. Sometimes this helps resolve odd RBS sync problems. 

Also try some of these suggestions as well:

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Having wifi neighbors near by can be problematic as well. 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Glad the system is working better. Thank you for letting us know.

Besure to make a backup configuration to file as well now. Helps save time if a reset is needed later on down the road. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have a long background in wireless networking and tried every setting and combination of settings imaginable, including clean installs.

No dice until the firmware upgrade and bingo - all good. So far it's only a dirty install but everything is fine. I don't use any of the content management or filtering features for what it's worth.

Betting there are improvements in the code base that won't be mentioned in the release notes.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear though. Hope this will be helpful for 20 series users. 

Rlease Notes for v16:

New Features and Enhancements:

• Enhances the device recognition mechanism of the attached devices list

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the compatibility issue with Sonos devices

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Retired_Member wrote:

I have a long background in wireless networking and tried every setting and combination of settings imaginable, including clean installs.

No dice until the firmware upgrade and bingo - all good. So far it's only a dirty install but everything is fine. I don't use any of the content management or filtering features for what it's worth.

Betting there are improvements in the code base that won't be mentioned in the release notes.

what you don't mention is why you upgraded?

Message 5 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've got backup routers if it failed or wasn't reliable and confined to home with this virus kerfuffle, so why not?

As it turns out it's a big improvement for me. So just sharing the experience....

Message 6 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Retired_Member wrote:

I've got backup routers if it failed or wasn't reliable and confined to home with this virus kerfuffle, so why not?

As it turns out it's a big improvement for me. So just sharing the experience....

perhaps that's what the 'living on the edge' crowd needs is a bunch of extra routers sitting around to remedy that itch to upgrade....

thanks for sharing

Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Someone has to be on the edge.

Acknowledging that it's unfortunate installing released Netgear firmware is considered (with some justification) to be bleeding edge.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Its only consider "bleeding edge" to some. I would not take this as applicable to everyone who has the latest and greatest loaded. FW works for some and some maybe not to so much. Problems need vetted out properly which included resets and reverting FW as a last resort during troubleshooting processes. 

@Retired_Member wrote:

Someone has to be on the edge.

Acknowledging that it's unfortunate installing released Netgear firmware is considered (with some justification) to be bleeding edge.

Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Its only consider "bleeding edge" to some. I would not take this as applicable to everyone who has the latest and greatest loaded. FW works for some and some maybe not to so much. Problems need vetted out properly which included resets and reverting FW as a last resort during troubleshooting processes. 

What we need is more honesty with these responses.  Too often someone comes forward with a problem that is fairly obvious connected to firmware.  This observation is made well after many other many others have already stated the same type of problem.  But what we have are responses, that rather than mention up front that a certain firmware contains problems, the user is asked to perform a string of possibly unnecessary questions and checks.

I suggest that IF a piece of firmware has known problems, then be honest at the front end.  After which, IF the user wants to continue with the questions, that would be their choice.  Don't make the assumption that if a piece of firmware works on your machine then all others should experience the same.

The idea that problems need to be vetted is only true IF the user is fully aware that such firmware should only be installed art their own risk.  Users should not be expected to participate is some sort of beta testing.  The real vetting needs to stay in the build shop NOT out here on the street.

NG is trying to tell its users that unless they push the firmware automatically, it may not be ready for average user. 

Message 10 of 12
daivinhchi
Aspirant

Hello, how did you guys update the firmware version 2.5.1.16

I went to netgear support to download the file and it is 2 files.

First file type is "Chrome HTML document" with 1kb

Second file type is "Disc image file" with 32570KB

According to the user manual, I should manually update the firmware for the satellite device before the router.

The fireware file name should either end in .img or .chk.

Is it the "Disc image file" with 32750KB?

When I clicked on that file, I got the disc image file is corrupted.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

First manually download the RBS and RBR FW files from here.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK20.aspx#download

Just click on the download button for each file. Your browser will download this to your PC.  

Find and Unpack the FW from the .zip files.

Use a wired PC for this process. Safari(Mac), IE11(Windows), Firefox or Opera browsers are recommended.

Then send the RBR FW file lastly.

Factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. After makeing sure the system works after setting up, be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed again.

@daivinhchi wrote:

Hello, how did you guys update the firmware version 2.5.1.16

I went to netgear support to download the file and it is 2 files.

First file type is "Chrome HTML document" with 1kb

Second file type is "Disc image file" with 32570KB

According to the user manual, I should manually update the firmware for the satellite device before the router.

The fireware file name should either end in .img or .chk.

Is it the "Disc image file" with 32750KB?

When I clicked on that file, I got the disc image file is corrupted.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7