Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 / RBS20 Very Unstable - Interrupted connectivity

RTTorres
Aspirant

RBR20 / RBS20 Very Unstable - Interrupted connectivity

HI. I have a RBR20/RBS20 setup in my house. For about three months it worked fine for the most part. Problem started in the past couple of weeks. WIFI drops several times a day, not a clear pattern. Every time the WIFI drops the router ring flashes white and the satellite ring is steady magenta. After a minute or so, the satellite ring changes to blue and WIFI comes back.

Upgraded to latest firmware without a difference. Had to wire a laptop to do the upgrade; the iOS app was not doing the upgrade. 

Turned off the satellite and no issue for several hours (but need the satellite for some devices on the other side of the house). I guess this rules out a problem with the ISP or modem. When working, internet speed is very good; sometimes even faster than contracted speed. 

From Netgear specsheets, a solid magenta ring on the satellite relates to lost connection to router. Not sure how this is happening randomly without moving any of the two. 

I will appreciate your assitance with this. Both my wife and I are working from home.  THANKS!!

Setup details:

Single story house (about 2,300 SF)

Comcast Internet

Netgear CM600 Modem

RBR20 (V2.3.5.30) - wired to modem

RBS20 (V2.3.5.30) - about 30ft away

About 20 WIFI devices

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR20 / RBS20 Very Unstable - Interrupted connectivity

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 4
RTTorres
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. I did several factory resets and adjusted settings as suggested. Unfortunatelly no luck. I gave up and upgraded to RBK50 router and satellite, returning the RBK20 while I still can.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the 20 series may have been faulty. 

Enjoy the 50 series. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7