Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 Restarts randomly

Verilogger
Aspirant

RBR20 Restarts randomly

I have a RBR20 set up in router mode. Two RBW30 Satellites FW: v2.3.5.26 Satellite FW: v2.3.5.6 Guest network is off Arris TM1602 cable modem 3000 sq ft house I have performed factory reset of the router and satellites multiple times. My Orbi has worked well for the past year, but since updating to v2.3.5.26 firmware, the router will re-initialize randomly throughout the day. I see in the log file that it initialized itself. I am really tired of this and am about to get rid of the Orbi and go elsewhere. Is there anything that can be done? I am thinking of dropping back to a prior version of firmware. I see my
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 12
Verilogger
Aspirant

Satellites are less than 30' apart.

I have tried these suggestions in the past and it did not work.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The satellites need to be 30 feet or more. 

What happens if you turn OFF the RBWs and just leave the RBR running...still happens? 

Message 4 of 12
Verilogger
Aspirant

All of the satellites were working well until the firmware upgrade.  I removed one satellite to see if this makes any difference.  The router re-initializes 5 - 20 times a day and I am not sure, but it seems to happen when the entire family is trying to work at the same time.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I suppose you might try downgrading FW and see if this helps. IF not, I recommend you contact NG support and get more help on the RBR. Possible the RBR is faulty and needs to be replaced. 

Message 6 of 12
Npkelley
Aspirant

I’m Having this exact same problem. Did you get it fixed? If so how?
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@Npkelley wrote:
I’m Having this exact same problem. Did you get it fixed? If so how?

Message 8 of 12
RedBatman89
Guide

@Verilogger wrote:
I have a RBR20 set up in router mode. Two RBW30 Satellites FW: v2.3.5.26 Satellite FW: v2.3.5.6 Guest network is off Arris TM1602 cable modem 3000 sq ft house I have performed factory reset of the router and satellites multiple times. My Orbi has worked well for the past year, but since updating to v2.3.5.26 firmware, the router will re-initialize randomly throughout the day. I see in the log file that it initialized itself. I am really tired of this and am about to get rid of the Orbi and go elsewhere. Is there anything that can be done? I am thinking of dropping back to a prior version of firmware.

Odd same thing Happened to me this morning. Weired last time I had rebooted was three weeks ago. This has happened to me before but that was almost a year ago. 

Message 9 of 12
Npkelley
Aspirant

I have now tried all of these things. I also have been trying this without the satellites, just he router. Still random reboots. I’m going to drop down in the firmware and see if that helps.
Message 10 of 12
JC1138
Aspirant

I am seeing the same symptoms after upgrading from firmware V2.3.1.58 to V2.3.5.26.

This is an RBR20 supporting two RBS20s.  

Previously I had no issues with this configuration rebooting but after the update it is happening consistantly.  About once an hour.

Other posts suggested a power stability issue which I question.  I am running the router on a UPS backed powersource and see no issue with the power.

I will try to regress to the older firmware to see if it stablizes.  How did you're firmware regression work?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 12
JC1138
Aspirant

update -

Attempting to revert the firmware, the RBR20 rebooted part way through the process so is now bricked. 

Opeing a case with support for next steps.   If you're experiencing this issue, be careful in trying to regress the firmware!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7