Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 Router Connection

ketcdm
Aspirant

RBR20 Router Connection

My ISP Gateway (ARRIS/ATT WIFI Gateway BGW201-700) is located in the back of the house where the fiber optic comes in to our single story 2000sf home ... but we have plaster walls and double-paned windows.  

Can I install the RBR20 router in the room next to the ATT Gateway and attach it to the ATT Gateway it through a network hub I'm using in that room? And if so, is a standard Cat 5/6 RJ45 cable all I need for the connection or does it need to be something different? 

If I can't connect through a network hub, then I have to install the RBR router in the same back-of-the house room as the ISP Gateway which creates intermittent connection problems with the satellite in the front of the house which is where the wifi signal is weak/non-existent.  

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR20 Router Connection

You can put the router where you want it so long as you have a connection. 
If the att devices is running in router mode, put the orbi in access point mode to prevent a double nat

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, an ethernet patch cable is an ethernet patch cable.

Do I understand this correctly:

BGW201 is in the room where the fiber enters.

An ethernet cable runs from that room to the next room to a network switch.

You are considering connecting the RBR20 in one of two ways:

• Directly to the BGW201, or
  • To the switch in the next room, thus removing one wall from the WiFi pathway to the satellite.

Yes, it will work either way, but there are factors to consider.

Everything connected directly to the BGW201 will be on one network. Everything connected to the Orbi will be on a different network.

Devices will  have different IP addresses.

As long as the only use is internet, you are fine.  However there are many situations which will not work with two networks, such as:

• Forwarding ports to devices on the Orbi
  • Connecting to printers, media servers, etc

One way to deal with this is to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode so that there is a single network administered by the BGW201.

Message 3 of 6
ketcdm
Aspirant

Thank you for your detailed response.  Yes, you have my situation and question stated correctly with the desired outcome of stronger whole-house wifi because of less wall interference between ORBI router and its Satellite. 

And yes I do want to avoid ending up with an ORBI wifi network name that is different from my Gateway network name. I have wired and wifi devices currently running off the ISP Gateway so if my ORBI wifi network is different then I would not be able to connect to those devices (like printers & network storage) when on ORBI wifi. 

So, that leads me to this setup question:  Passthrough or Access Point or ???

I was planning to use Passthrough mode on the ISP Gateway and then renaming the ORBI SSID to match the wired network name.  Is that the same as setting up an Access Point or is Passthrough different?  If different, do you have a recommended option?

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@ketcdm wrote:

And yes I do want to avoid ending up with an ORBI wifi network name that is different from my Gateway network name. I have wired and wifi devices currently running off the ISP Gateway so if my ORBI wifi network is different then I would not be able to connect to those devices (like printers & network storage) when on ORBI wifi. 

So, that leads me to this setup question:  Passthrough or Access Point or ???

I was planning to use Passthrough mode on the ISP Gateway and then renaming the ORBI SSID to match the wired network name.  Is that the same as setting up an Access Point or is Passthrough different?  If different, do you have a recommended option?

Most people prefer to have only one set of WiFi radios in the house (to reduce interference), so the most common practice is to:

• Disable the ISP Gateway WiFi
  • Use the ISP Gateway WiFi name (SSID) on the Orbi
  • This way, all WiFi devices will automatically connect to the Orbi (existing and new WiFi devices)

Passthrough vs. Access Point depends on how wired devices are connected.  Everything has to connect to the first router. If any devices are wired directly to the ISP Gateway, then it must remain the router and the Orbi should be an access point.

On the other hand, if the only thing actually wired directly to the ISP Gateway is that switch, then the Orbi can go between the Gateway and switch which results in everything being connected to the Orbi.  Gateway can be passthrough and Orbi router. i.e.

Gateway-->cable-->Orbi-->cable-->switch--devices.

To a large degree this depends on which router you prefer to mange. Does the ISP Gateway or the Orbi have features that you can about that the other does not?

Message 5 of 6
ketcdm
Aspirant

Thank you @CrimpOn ... great comments and details.  It seems either the Access Point or Passthrough options would work, but not sure which gives me best success for top priority … improving WiFI signal in front of house.

Here’s the room/equipment layout:

Living/Dining/Kitchen/Garage (front of house): weak or no signal when using an ISP WIFI extender which is what drove me to try Orbi mesh

1. I use internet, including video meetings, and access network printers/storage when on PC in these rooms
  2. Garage has several smart devices which need WIFI to function

Office (Back of house)

1. Fiber optic enters house here and is location of ISP Gateway which has several wired office devices connected plus SwitchOffice with additional office devices wired to it plus cable to a switch located in TV room for its equipment

TV Room (one room closer to front of house)

1. SwitchTV has TV devices wired to it (TV, Satellite, Receiver, BD Player and SwitchOffice)
  2. SwitchTV is cabled from SwitchOffice by running cable under office door and around TV room to get to the TV equipment

If I installed the RB20 in the TV room to take advantage of being closer to the front of house, the RB20 would connect to the network through SwitchTV as an Access Point?   Gateway =>cable =>Office devices + SwitchOffice (more office devices + SwitchTV)

If I installed the RB20 in the Office because the features/functions of the Gateway may be more robust than the RB20, the RB20 would connect to network through the Gateway as a Passthrough? Gateway => RB20 => SwitchOffice (all office devices+SwitchTV)

It appears I know enough to ask questions, but not enough to know which option is best for improving signal to front of house.

Thanks again for your advice.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7