Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 Satellite when enbled causes intermittent internet

pkbhas
Aspirant

RBR20 Satellite when enbled causes intermittent internet

when the satellite of RBR20 is switched on, there will be frequent disruption of interrupt connection.

When its left switched off,  and have only the main router, then there will be no intermittednt issues in internet connection.

The satellite is connected to a server on ethernet cable. Thats the only wired connection on satellite.

Following the advices on community tried updateing to altest firmware. but no luck.

Any advices?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR20 Satellite when enbled causes intermittent internet

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?
https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 2 of 14
pkbhas
Aspirant

Firmware Version: V2.5.1.16

AP mode is ON.

modem model:E31T2V1

Size of home: 3000 sqft

Distance between router: 

Main rounter in 1st floor.

Satelite in 2nd floor at a vertical height of 10 ft and horizontal diatance of apx: 15-18 ft.

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Your modem model doesn't have a built in router or wifi. IF you have your Orbi in AP Mode, this needs to be changed to router mode as there needs to be a router in between the modem and your wifi devices. 

Message 4 of 14
pkbhas
Aspirant

The router mode is set. My apologoes for not checking it throroughly

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 6 of 14
pkbhas
Aspirant

Enabled Beam Forming. Did not enable MIMO

Dont know where to change these: 

IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes

Restarted the both router and satellite.

The frequency of interruptions is not changed.

seeing these type of messages in logs which I dont know is the source for the interrptions?

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 91.195.241.136

Note: For work, we connect to VPN . 

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/IPv6

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

You can do a whois look up on that IP address...

Message 8 of 14
pkbhas
Aspirant

Even after these changes,  seeing DOS attcks from some IPs which is causing the internet diconnections.

eg: [DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 3.132.204.55, port 443, Tuesday, July 28, 2020 08:51:04

Dont know why this should dicconnect the internet connection.

Message 9 of 14
DarkNet
Apprentice

The IP: 3.132.204.55 is from Amazon.  I doubt that’s an actual attack.  More likely just a false alert.  I don’t know who the other IP address is but I’m not sure if it is an attack why it would only affect your satellite.  I think that it is more likely something is up with your system.  I see you have a RBR20 (which is a router) as well as an Orbi AC2200 (which is also a router).  How have you got these configured? 

Message 10 of 14
pkbhas
Aspirant

"I see you have a RBR20 (which is a router) as well as an Orbi AC2200 (which is also a router).  How have you got these configured?"

Per my understanding, Have only RBR20 as router. Where is this Orbi AC2200 coming from. Where should I check for this?

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You might have your ISP help you change the WAN IP address and check the ISP signal up to the modem to be sure that is working well. 

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Swap out the LAN cable between the modem and RBR. Use good quality CAT6 Lan cable.

I would factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch when the ISP helps you out with the modem.

Message 12 of 14
DarkNet
Apprentice

My bad.  Im sorry.  I saw this in your posting and misunderstood. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router

Message 13 of 14
pkbhas
Aspirant

A new observation :

If the satellite is switched off, with the same settings + Ofc laptop also ON, dont see any intermittent issues with internet.

The issue of intermittent internet is coming up only when satellite is enabled.

Hoping that the above information might help in suggesting steps to resolve the issue.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7