Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 Satellites Broadcast Main SSID Even After Disabled

tomsax
Tutor

RBR20 Satellites Broadcast Main SSID Even After Disabled

We have an RBK23 (RBR20 with two RBS20 satellites) running router firmware version V2.3.5.26.

It is set up as an AP with a guest network. I want the guest network to be visible, but would like the primary network not to be broadcast. I went to the Advanced Tab/Advanced Setup/Wireless Settings and unchecked "Enable SSID Broadcast" and hit Apply. Going in and out of that page shows the option unchecked as expected.

All three devices are broadcasting the guest network SSID and the router stopped broadcasting the main SSID, but the two satellites continue to broadcast the main network on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. I have power cycled the satellites, no help, even after multiple days.

How can I get the satellites to stop broadcasting the main SSID?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
tomsax
Tutor

I tried many variations and repetitions of reset, reboot, sync, and finally solved the problem. I believe the final piece was to "remove" the satellite that was behaving badly then reset and sync it. So, here are the steps I believe solved the problem:

Turn off the satellite.

Wait for the router to recognize that the satellite is gone and "Remove" it.

Power up the satellite.

Reset it.

Sync the satellite with the router.

Enable SSID broadcast. Wait for it to show up in a WiFi scanner.

Change the SSID. Wait for it to show up in a WiFi scanner.

Change the SSID back. Wait for it to show up.

Disable SSID broadcast.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure after unchecking the check boxes, you select APPLY, after apply, i would reboot or power OFF the RBR for 10 seconds then back power it back ON. the main SSID should be no longer seen on any wifi devices. 

Message 2 of 5
tomsax
Tutor

As I explained in my original post, I've done everything you suggest: uncheck "Enable SSID Broadcast", Apply, (and verify the change stuck), power down everything, wait, power back up. I agree that should work, but it doesn't. As I said, the router (RBR20) stopped broadcasting, but the satellites (RBS20) did not.

I've continued to experiment and have done more reboots. That fixed one of the satellites, but not the other. Clearly there's a bug here, changes to the router configuration should propagate to the satellites without all the jumping through hoops.

Has anyone had this problem with the RBR20 satellites continuing to broadcast the SSID and found a solution?

Message 3 of 5
tomsax
Tutor

I tried many variations and repetitions of reset, reboot, sync, and finally solved the problem. I believe the final piece was to "remove" the satellite that was behaving badly then reset and sync it. So, here are the steps I believe solved the problem:

Turn off the satellite.

Wait for the router to recognize that the satellite is gone and "Remove" it.

Power up the satellite.

Reset it.

Sync the satellite with the router.

Enable SSID broadcast. Wait for it to show up in a WiFi scanner.

Change the SSID. Wait for it to show up in a WiFi scanner.

Change the SSID back. Wait for it to show up.

Disable SSID broadcast.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it figured out and working. Thanks for letting us know. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7