Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20/ Spectrum / My Orbi does not connect to internet even though the modem is a stand alone modem

Alexdoesitagain
Follower

RBR20/ Spectrum / My Orbi does not connect to internet even though the modem is a stand alone modem

The spectrum modem I have is DOCSIS 3.1 Modem/Voice Equipment

When I connect my RBR20 it shows the internet as offline even though the internet is working. What makes this even more difficult in order to be able to use the Orbi app or Netgear login website you have to be connected to the orbi wifi, which I am not able to because it shows as internet offline. lol

I have read that this issue usually is because the modem has a built in router, in this case it does not. I have called my ISP (Spectrum) and they state they don't need to do anything on their end in regards to bridging the modem correctly. 

I also read to set up my Orbi in router mode instead of AP mode, where do you go to do this? I have not seen this option in any of the setting options on the Orbi app. Any assistance with this would be greatly appriciated.  

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR20/ Spectrum / My Orbi does not connect to internet even though the modem is a stand alone mo

@Alexdoesitagain wrote:

The spectrum modem I have is DOCSIS 3.1 Modem/Voice Equipment

When I connect my RBR20 it shows the internet as offline even though the internet is working. What makes this even more difficult in order to be able to use the Orbi app or Netgear login website you have to be connected to the orbi wifi, which I am not able to because it shows as internet offline. lol

I have read that this issue usually is because the modem has a built in router, in this case it does not. I have called my ISP (Spectrum) and they state they don't need to do anything on their end in regards to bridging the modem correctly. 

I also read to set up my Orbi in router mode instead of AP mode, where do you go to do this? I have not seen this option in any of the setting options on the Orbi app. Any assistance with this would be greatly appriciated.  

• Modem - If you provide the actual model number of the Spectrum modem, we can double check that it is "only a modem".
  • "Shows Offline" - Please explain what leads to this conclusion.  Is it the "ring light" on top of the Orbi?
  • WiFi connection.  In the smartphone Network control panel, the Orbi WiFi's name (SSID) does not appear at all?
  • Router Mode.  You are correct. The Orbi "app" has no abillity to set the "mode" of the Orbi.  The default condition is router mode.
    Unless you have used the Orbi web interface to put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode, it is still in router mode.

There is a frustrating situation going on with Orbi WiFi routers this month.  Because of a programming error in the Traffic Meter feature, routers with certain versions of firmware, with automatic Daylight Saving Time adjustment, and Traffic Meter enabled are losing the ability to resolve Domain Names into IP addresses.  There are a number of fixes. The easiest is to use a web browser to connect to http://orbilogin.net, enter the administrative credentials ("admin" and the administrative password - not the Orbi "app" login), Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Traffic Meter (toward the bottom) and uncheck the box "Enable Traffic Meter".

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7