Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 - Xbox only 100-200mbps Wired?

Mock19
Aspirant

RBR20 - Xbox only 100-200mbps Wired?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone may be able to help. I am a bit stumped. I have the Orbi RBR20 and an Xbox Series X as well as a PS5. I have Xfinity's 600mbps package, and my own modem an Arriss SB8200. The orbi is updated w firmware v2.7.4.24.

Both the Xbox and PS5 are only getting wifi speeds around 100-200mbps and are located next to the orbi. The bigger issue is both are getting those same speeds if I plug in via ethernet to the orbi. I bought new cat6 cables to no avail.

I am using the console's built in speedtest in the settings menu on both consoles. The kicker is when I plug each directly into the modem via ethernet they are reporting 600-700mbps using those same speedtests. I have factory reset the Orbi, I have changed channels using netgear's app, reset up wifi on the consoles. I just dont get it. My phone gets 600mbps over wifi no problems.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR20 - Xbox only 100-200mbps Wired?

So you're phone is getting 600mbps? 

What is a computer getting while hardwired into the orbi? 

Reason I ask is the speedtest sites don't always pick the best server to test off. so its worth checking a hardwired pc. 

Message 2 of 8
Mock19
Aspirant

Hi,

The PC is getting between 585-686mbps wired to the satellite's ethernet. Wifi is currently 384mbps but i dont have the antenna screwed on the wifi card atm...looking for it to test it. (PC is in the room i needed the Orbi for)

Im just at a loss. Im dont know a ton about routers but i know enough and have troubleshot this enough that its pointing to the Orbi being the issue. My old R7000 Nighthawk got 300mbps on a 200mbps plan (xfinity over delivers here usually) over wifi on the consoles.

Id be fine if this was a server thing, but by bypassing the orbi and going straight to the modem wired and seeing the correct speeds raises the red flag.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

If those are the only devices with slow down, it tends to be which server they're selecting or time of day. 

When the computer and the wireless devices are getting full speed, it tends to not be the router. 

Have you tried a different server on the gaming consoles?

Message 4 of 8
Mock19
Aspirant

I did the speedtests on each console within 15 minutes both over wifi and ethernet w the Orbi, then unplugged and put them straight into the modem. I cant imagine there being a nearly 400mbps drop in that time frame. As soon as I wired to the modem i was at my 600mbps.
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

do you have IPv6 enabled on the router? 

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Message 6 of 8
Mock19
Aspirant

No, ipv6 is disabled and not available here yet. I am running the Arris Sb8200. Thank you for trying to help btw.
Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Who's your ISP? 

Have you tried enabling ipv6?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7