Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 & PS4 issues

bkcarter
Aspirant

RBR20 & PS4 issues

Let me preface this with I am somewhat tech illiterate so I’d LOVE for someone to please explain to me like a small child how to resolve this issue.

I recently purchased the Orbi RBR20 with 2 satellites. My internet is through ATT -which also has a router connected tot he modem, mentioning bc not sure if this could cause a problem. We recently converted an outdoor garage (approximately 15 yards from our house) into a man cave for my husband in which we connected the PlayStation 4. However, the ATT router would not put off a strong enough signal to connect to the PSN hence the purchase of the Orbi.

That being said, I set up the Orbi today & the app show everything running properly. I have the main router connected to the ATT modem in the living room, one satellite in our dining room (closest point inside to the man cave) & another satellite in the man cave. When we try to establish an internet connection through the PS4 we are getting error CE-37813-2. I googled a couple of solutions for this error & rebuilt the database, also tried inputting WiFi info manually & get nowhere.

I read firmware may have something to do with it but not sure how to turn that off or change the level of that on the Orbi. *side note* the ATT WiFi still shows up & will connect but not for long as it shows low signal strength. TIA for any help you can give me.
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

I would contact the ISP and ask them if this router can be removed if it's a separate device from the ATT modem. Some modems have built in routers as well. 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@bkcarter wrote:
Let me preface this with I am somewhat tech illiterate so I’d LOVE for someone to please explain to me like a small child how to resolve this issue.

I recently purchased the Orbi RBR20 with 2 satellites. My internet is through ATT -which also has a router connected tot he modem, mentioning bc not sure if this could cause a problem. We recently converted an outdoor garage (approximately 15 yards from our house) into a man cave for my husband in which we connected the PlayStation 4. However, the ATT router would not put off a strong enough signal to connect to the PSN hence the purchase of the Orbi.

That being said, I set up the Orbi today & the app show everything running properly. I have the main router connected to the ATT modem in the living room, one satellite in our dining room (closest point inside to the man cave) & another satellite in the man cave. When we try to establish an internet connection through the PS4 we are getting error CE-37813-2. I googled a couple of solutions for this error & rebuilt the database, also tried inputting WiFi info manually & get nowhere.

I read firmware may have something to do with it but not sure how to turn that off or change the level of that on the Orbi. *side note* the ATT WiFi still shows up & will connect but not for long as it shows low signal strength. TIA for any help you can give me.

Message 2 of 11
bkcarter
Aspirant

The Orbi firmware is V2.3.5.26. The ATT modem is an Arris BGW210 and that is what I have the Orbi connected to with the Ethernet cable. The other part is a DIRECTV wireless video bridge WVB2R0-34...
Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya your iSP modem has a built in router already. 

Message 4 of 11
bkcarter
Aspirant

So I need to call ATT & get them to disable their router & then the Orbi can connect to the PS4?
Message 5 of 11

@bkcarter wrote:
So I need to call ATT & get them to disable their router & then the Orbi can connect to the PS4?

You can also investigate the possibility of putting the Arris BGW210 into bridge (modem only) mode.

How To: Properly Configure The Arris BGW-210 For "Bridge Mode" (Walkthrough) : Ubiquiti

You can do this yourself without divine intervention from your ISP.

An alternative is to put the Orbi into wireless access point mode. (See the Orbi manual.) A lot of us do this. It does disable some features, such as Parental Controls, but they may not be important to you, or you existing router may provide them.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If you don't know how to disable the router, I recommend contacting the ISP and asking for there help. Once the modem is bridge, then you can use the Orbi in router mode and the PS4 will connect to the Orbi thru the modem. 

@bkcarter wrote:

Message 7 of 11
bkcarter
Aspirant

Great. Thank you so much!
Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 11
bkcarter
Aspirant

I had a friend help me out...turned the Arris router off WiFi & configured the ISP’s...still getting the same error on the PS4. CE37813-2
Message 10 of 11

@bkcarter wrote:
I had a friend help me out...turned the Arris router off WiFi ....

I don't know what your friend intended to achieve by that, but turning off the Arris router's wifi does not turn off its router function.

Did your friend consult the instructions I posted on how to put the Arris BGW210 into bridge mode? (See above.)

@bkcarter wrote:
...configured the ISP’s...

Configured the ISP's what? And how?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7