Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 constant connection issues

Ciridae
Tutor

Sorry I should have specified the switches better.

So when I plug directly into the Ethernet port on the orbi everything is fine. When I connect the switch (GS305) To the Ethernet port and connect through it with the Xbox, it’s just as bad of a connection as the WiFi. I’m using all New cat6 cable.

I haven’t had a chance to swap back to my old router yet.
Message 26 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Cna you find a different switch to use? Seems like maybe this switch is causing problems for you. Depending on version of switch you have, green ethernet is present on some of these switches which cause problems for Orbi users. 

@Ciridae wrote:
Sorry I should have specified the switches better.

So when I plug directly into the Ethernet port on the orbi everything is fine. When I connect the switch (GS305) To the Ethernet port and connect through it with the Xbox, it’s just as bad of a connection as the WiFi. I’m using all New cat6 cable.

I haven’t had a chance to swap back to my old router yet.

Message 27 of 31
Ciridae
Tutor

A little update.

So the new modem helped with some of the initial issues that were annoying. My wife has noticed a huge improvement for her connection during the day while she works. We can actual stream content without it dropping every 10-15 minutes.

The current issues are phone, iPad and Xbox related. I can’t do anything on my phone like stream video or update apps while connected. I constantly have to Either refresh, reconnect or renew the lease for my WiFi on my phone to get it to work. The iPad isn’t as bad.

The Xbox only connects to the 2.4ghz no matter the distance between it and the router. Multiplayer at that point is a no go and even just trying to play a game I constantly lose connection to Xbox live. If I connect through the gs305 switch I get similar results, I even tried making my old router the switch and got the same results. The only way I can use my Xbox is if I plug directly into the orbi. Considering that the WiFi gear is in the office and not the living room is a big hassle.

I haven’t had a chance to test out the old router.
Message 28 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Caa you find a different switch to use? Seems like maybe this switch is causing problems for you. Depending on version of switch you have, green ethernet is present on some of these switches which cause problems for Orbi users. 

Message 29 of 31
Ciridae
Tutor

I’m dropping the switch and time capsule out of the system. I had the time capsule setup correctly so the radios were off but when I used a WiFi scanner it was tagging the router as the Apple time capsule. So I removed it from the system and it cleared up a good bit of the issues. The Xbox is only getting 40 ish mbps download. Once test it jumped to 140mbps but that was only once. It’s enough to stream through it and not get constantly disconnected.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

So the recap was first part of the issue was the modem (bad chipset) and second the old time capsule that was being used as a external hard drive was somehow high jacking the orbi (even though the radios were shut off).
Message 30 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome troubleshooting. Glad you got it working. Thanks for letting us know. Please mark your thread and solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Ciridae wrote:
I’m dropping the switch and time capsule out of the system. I had the time capsule setup correctly so the radios were off but when I used a WiFi scanner it was tagging the router as the Apple time capsule. So I removed it from the system and it cleared up a good bit of the issues. The Xbox is only getting 40 ish mbps download. Once test it jumped to 140mbps but that was only once. It’s enough to stream through it and not get constantly disconnected.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

So the recap was first part of the issue was the modem (bad chipset) and second the old time capsule that was being used as a external hard drive was somehow high jacking the orbi (even though the radios were shut off).

Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7