Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 doesn't work

areynoso
Guide

RBR20 doesn't work

Buy an RBR20 and 2 satellites 3 months ago, I have weeks that disconnects from the internet without explanation, I have read in the forum that many have this problem, say some solutions that works for some and for others not, in my case restart it manufactured , change the channels, make other settings and nothing, keep connecting alone, today I can no longer see the wifi network, the router has the light flashing all the time, does not let me reset it.

Right now I have no support anymore, I do not have to think much to realize that these devices do not work, that they are a scam, I have lost my money with this garbage.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR20 doesn't work

did you try the 2nd set of suggestions? have you tried doing the tftp procedure on it? it forces the firmware to it. This fixes the majority of flashing power problems. 

If that doesn't work the only other utility is nmrpflash. 

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

devices have been bad before. They might only have 90 days of free support but they do have a year warranty if you bought them new. We can try helping you figure out your problem and if the problem continues, you can go through the support site for repair/exchange.

1. What modem are you using?

2. Firmware on your router?

3. What led is blinking? color/which one. More details help us to help you.

4. are you able to access the router if you're hardwired into it?

5. What is your housing materials?

6. How far apart is the router from the satellites?

7. You put that you've tried to reset it. Did you hold the reset button for 7-10 seconds (on the back)?

The more details you put, help us to help you figure out your problem. We can first work on getting the router working again and then work on getting the consistency/stablity the orbi should have. 

Message 2 of 11
areynoso
Guide

My modem is Huawei HG8245H5

The firmware is 2.3.5.26. The led the router have the color white.

I don't can to access the router when i hardwired into it.

The materials of my house is concrete armed, but this not is the problem.

The distance of the satellites is the 20 meters

I did tests by putting a previous firmware on it, but it didn't work.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

By armed concrete you mean reinforced (rebar) concrete?

So a couple things.

1. the Huawei HG8245H5 is a combo device. It has built in gateway/modem and a router. So if you're running it in router mode and the orbi in router mode, you'll be in a double nat which can cause all types of issues. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

2. The armed concrete you say isn't a problem? If your interior walls are armed concrete it is a problem. A single wall of armed concrete can almost completely block a 5ghz wifi signal. It reduces signal levels by 53db according to the testing I've read. 2.4ghz is going to penetrate a little more due to the very nature of 2.4ghz but by its nature its much lower bandwidth (slower).  But even with that said, the concrete is going to block a significan portion of the 2.4ghz as well.  The issue would be the orbi backhaul uses a 5ghz signal and can fall back on the 2.4ghz if there's issues.  concrete would be one of those issues but it'll have a lower signal level and lower bandwidth so kind of ruins the point of a wireless mesh network.

If you have concrete interior walls, you're going to want to look at setting up some type hardwired backhaul or it doesn't matter what you get, it'll have issues.

https://eyesaas.com/wifi-signal-loss/   

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

In terms of getting it working again:
1. Have you tried a factory reset? Push and hold the rest button 7-10 seconds?
2 didn't work? You can try restoring via tftp. If your on windows, make sure to enable tftp from your settings. A common mistake made is not enabling it.
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10
Message 5 of 11
areynoso
Guide

I understand the first point, but it is not running in router mode and I understand what you say about armed concrete, but my problem is not signal, is that the router orbi has no internet, does not show the wifi network and also local by means of a LAN cable , does not allow me to reset it from factory, the light always flashes and I can not do anything else.

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

did you try the 2nd set of suggestions? have you tried doing the tftp procedure on it? it forces the firmware to it. This fixes the majority of flashing power problems. 

If that doesn't work the only other utility is nmrpflash. 

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 7 of 11
areynoso
Guide

I try this now

Message 8 of 11
areynoso
Guide

I was able to initialize the router again, then now the problem starts and that is that the connection is lost from time to time, the router was disconnected from the internet.

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

Not all devices passthrough mode works great. Have you tried enabling the routing features on your modem, shutting off its wifi, and placing orbi in access point mode?
Message 10 of 11
areynoso
Guide

No, but I'll try.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements