Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 factory reset on reboot

komrade
Guide

RBR20 factory reset on reboot

My RBR20 loses all settings on power loss or reboot. 

I was making some updates to the router and hot apply .everything seemed to go through fine and I thought might as well reboot to be sure. After the reboot, all settings we're lost and I had to re-setup the ORBI system.

Even tested to see if I could reproduce, and sure enough, after a reboot, all settings we're gone again. Is this a memory issue or simply a bug?

Message 1 of 41

Accepted Solutions
komrade
Guide

The v44 firmware seemed to fix it for me as well. Was able to get it uploaded and reconfigured with the new firmware and haven't had any issues since.

I will mark this as resolved since the new firmware was released.

Thanks everyone for helping troubleshoot.

View solution in original post

Message 30 of 41

All Replies

There has been a bout of that happening with recent firmware on other Netgear devices.

I have no idea if this will work on an Orbi, but there has been some success with performing a "recovery reset" on other Netgear routers.

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Strangely, after that the newest firmware does maintain settings on a reboot.

Of course, save your settings before you do this. Restore them after the reset and check that they stick after a reboot.

Message 2 of 41
MrBillAllen
Guide

I'm having the exact same issue.  I've reporduced it a couple of times.  

Reboot router - factory reset

Remove power - factory reset

Power off/on - factory reset

RBR20

Firmware  V2.2.1.210

Modem CM1100

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 41
MrBillAllen
Guide

I tried solution posted by michaelkenward but same result.

Message 4 of 41

Thanks for the feedback.

Another possibility is to reflash the new firmware manually. Maybe it did not stick completely first time around.

Message 5 of 41
MrBillAllen
Guide

I'll give that a try as soon as I can.  I've opened a case with Netgear support and will also post result.

Message 6 of 41

@MrBillAllen wrote:

I've opened a case with Netgear support and will also post result.

Good move.

Message 7 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try a full manual re-load of the FW files on the system using a web browser. Then do a factory reset and setup from scratch, walk thru the setup wizard using a web browser. Do a back up of the configuration to file. 

Then test to see if the setting presist or if the system resets if powered off and back on or thru a reboot. 

Message 8 of 41
mikevanocdn
Tutor

Just bought my router system a week ago and having the exact same issue...if this doesn’t get fixed soon, I’m returning. My wife doesn’t know how to fix if I am not around and I am not going to waste my time whenever there is a power blip to fix this...life’s too short for this. Let me know if it gets fixed.
Message 9 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Might try a full manual re-load of the FW files on the system using a web browser. Then do a factory reset and setup from scratch, walk thru the setup wizard using a web browser. Do a back up of the configuration to file. 

Then test to see if the setting presist or if the system resets if powered off and back on or thru a reboot. 

@mikevanocdn wrote:
Just bought my router system a week ago and having the exact same issue...if this doesn’t get fixed soon, I’m returning. My wife doesn’t know how to fix if I am not around and I am not going to waste my time whenever there is a power blip to fix this...life’s too short for this. Let me know if it gets fixed.

Message 10 of 41
komrade
Guide

So tried all the possible solutions in this thread so far to no avail.

Was previously on 2.1.3 (or something like that) and downloaded V2.3.0.28 and did a manual update through the GUI. On reboot, it went to factory settings.

Did the 30-30-30 power cycle, reconfigured everything, went to reboot, and lost all settings again.

I put a UPS on it for now just in case I have a small power outage, but still, incredibly frustrating to lose all settings on any sort of power loss or even software reboot.

Message 11 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a manual download of the FW files and re-load the RBR again using a wired PC and IE11 or FF browser. After the FW is loaded, do one more factory reset and walk thru the setup wizard. Once setup. Back up the configruation to file. 

Then test to see if the router retains the configuration by pulling the power. Back on. 

IF the router doesn't retain the configuration, I would return the unit to place of purchase or ask NG for an RMA. 

Message 12 of 41
MrBillAllen
Guide

My system is now holding it's configuration.

After opening a case with Netgear they advised me that V2.2.1.210 was not the latest firmware even though the firmware update screen found no new firmware versions.

I downloaded V2.3.0.28 for both the router and satellite.  

1. performed a complete 30-30-30 second reset (not sure this buys you anything but hey, took the advice and it's what i did.

2. Setup the router "Again"

3. Applied the RBS20-V2.3.0.28 firmware through the gui to the satellite

4. Applied the RBR20-V2.3.0.28 firmware throught the gui to the router

5. Setup the router "Again"

6. Performed a 30 second factory reset

7. Setup the router "Again"

8. Performed a reboot through the GUI - Success, config ok

9. Pulled the power - Success, config ok

If you have a complicated configuration I suggest performing a backup of your config.

I will follow up if I have any additional issues.

Message 13 of 41
mikevanocdn
Tutor

I’ll give this a try, but from what you said, looks like I don’t have the latest Firmware.
Message 14 of 41
MrBillAllen
Guide

I really believe it’s the reset “after” the firmware update that fixes the problem.
Message 15 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes after you update FW.

Message 16 of 41

@mikevanocdn wrote:
I’ll give this a try, but from what you said, looks like I don’t have the latest Firmware.

The Orbi's "find new firmware" feature is less than perfect. In other words, it often doesn't work. But it is easy enough to update firmware manually.

There is support for your RBK22, including firmware and manuals, at the end of this link:

>>> RBK22 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

Firmware here:

RBR20 / RBS20 Firmware Version 2.3.0.28 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

along with instructions on where to shove it.

Message 17 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you need help getting Fw updated. 

@mikevanocdn wrote:

Message 18 of 41
mikevanocdn
Tutor

Looks like the firmware update with 30-30-30 reset worked. Thanks all for the help. Hopefully this doesn’t become a trend.
Message 19 of 41

@mikevanocdn wrote:
Looks like the firmware update with 30-30-30 reset worked. Thanks all for the help. Hopefully this doesn’t become a trend.

Indeed. It may be no consolation, but past experience with other Netgear stuff suggests that this is a one off.

That "recovery reset" usually comes into play only when someone is trying to recover a "bricked" device that won't work at all.

With luck, the Orbi techies will have learned a lesson from this one.

Message 20 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that fixed it. You should be ok now. Probably an odd ball issue with yoru system. Haven't seen anyone else post about this. 

Please mark your thread as solves so if others do see this, they can try this. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@mikevanocdn wrote:

Message 21 of 41
Mixster6
Aspirant

on V2.3.0.28 and had set it up a 4th time (no restore from backup, 30-30-30 reset, manual firmware upload). Seemed to work fine and past Sunday..boom..factory reset . So sick of this -

Just ordered a UPS for the main unit and maybe that'll help. 

Message 22 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG about this and ask for an RMA. This should not be happening at all, with or with out a UPS. You may have a bad unit that needs to be replaced.

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@Mixster6 wrote:

on V2.3.0.28 and had set it up a 4th time (no restore from backup, 30-30-30 reset, manual firmware upload). Seemed to work fine and past Sunday..boom..factory reset . So sick of this -

Message 23 of 41
MrBillAllen
Guide

I haven't had a problem since updating to V2.3.0.28 followed by a factory reset.  I've pulled the power once and rebooted twice without losing the config.  I will run through the power and reboot tests again this weekend and follow up.

@Mixster6 wrote:

Message 24 of 41
Phardy
Guide

I’m having the same issue.
Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 14 kudos