Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR20 factory reset on reboot

FURRYe38
Guru

Try a FW update to v44 if you see it in the auto update on the routers web page. If thats not available, update to v28 which the files are available for download on NG support page. Factor reset after updating and setup from scratch. 

@Phardy wrote:
I’m having the same issue.

Message 26 of 41
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @komrade @Mixster6 @Phardy

Kindly perform a factory reset on the unit then upgrade to the latest firmware to see if that helps. Please let us know of the result. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 27 of 41
MrBillAllen
Guide

Just to follow up.

Experienced another power outage today and the system maintained the configuration.  At this point I'm considering my issue resolved.

I'm running FW V2.3.0.28 which I downloaded from the site and installed manually through the GUI.  After the firmware update I performed another factory reset and walked through the setup again.

Since then I have tested three times, rebooted, pulled the plug and rebooted.  And finally the power outage today.

My system appears stable.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 28 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

I wonder if you did the same thing for v44, would that continue to be stable on v44? 

Thank you for letting us know. 

@MrBillAllen wrote:

Just to follow up.

Experienced another power outage today and the system maintained the configuration.  At this point I'm considering my issue resolved.

I'm running FW V2.3.0.28 which I downloaded from the site and installed manually through the GUI.  After the firmware update I performed another factory reset and walked through the setup again.

Since then I have tested three times, rebooted, pulled the plug and rebooted.  And finally the power outage today.

My system appears stable.

Message 29 of 41
komrade
Guide

The v44 firmware seemed to fix it for me as well. Was able to get it uploaded and reconfigured with the new firmware and haven't had any issues since.

I will mark this as resolved since the new firmware was released.

Thanks everyone for helping troubleshoot.

Message 30 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working now. Besure to save a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@komrade wrote:

The v44 firmware seemed to fix it for me as well. Was able to get it uploaded and reconfigured with the new firmware and haven't had any issues since.

I will mark this as resolved since the new firmware was released.

Thanks everyone for helping troubleshoot.

Message 31 of 41

I have the Rbr20 and Rbs20 on wired back haul. I have the current 2.3.1.44 on both and I am still loosing all setting with power loss. I just bought a ups to band aid this issue, but shouldn't be an issue at all.
Message 32 of 41

Several people have found that the 30:30:30 recovery reset fixes this issue.

They have even saved and reloaded their settings before and after the reset.

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

Message 33 of 41
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Thefugitive87

We would like to clarify the following information: 

- When you say "power loss", do you mean that the router reboots itself or you turn off and on the router? 

- How did you update to latest FW? Manual Update, FW Update Page in UI, Auto FW update pushed by NETGEAR
- Was there any interruption of RBR20 during FW update process?
- What changes were made to the configuration before rebooting?
- How did you reboot RBR20 after FW update? Was it rebooted using reboot option in UI, using on-off button, pulling the power, unplugging from the wall, powering of ups or power bar?
- Did you experience any power outages recently?

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 34 of 41
MrBillAllen
Guide

If you haven't performed a factory reset since your latest firmware upgrade I would;

Backup my config

perform a factory reset

That is what worked for me.

Message 35 of 41

Thank you for responses. Here are some answers to the questions.

- When you say "power loss", do you mean that the router reboots itself or you turn off and on the router?

Power is removed by a switch or pulled the plug.

- How did you update to latest FW? Manual Update, FW Update Page in UI, Auto FW update pushed by NETGEAR

Not sure.

Dont think so, but possible.

Not sure.

- How did you reboot RBR20 after FW update? Was it rebooted using reboot option in UI, using on-off button, pulling the power, unplugging from the wall, powering of ups or power bar?

A menu reboot.

- Did you experience any power outages recently?

Yes.

I will try what has been suggested. And I'll post the results either way.
Message 36 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

@Thefugitive87 wrote:
Thank you for responses. Here are some answers to the questions.

Power is removed by a switch or pulled the plug.

- How did you update to latest FW? Manual Update, FW Update Page in UI, Auto FW update pushed by NETGEAR

Not sure.

Dont think so, but possible.

Not sure.

- How did you reboot RBR20 after FW update? Was it rebooted using reboot option in UI, using on-off button, pulling the power, unplugging from the wall, powering of ups or power bar?

A menu reboot.

- Did you experience any power outages recently?

Yes.

I will try what has been suggested. And I'll post the results either way.

Message 37 of 41

I did the 30-30-30 reset and reloaded my config file.
All issues are gone. Thank you everyone!
Message 38 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Thefugitive87 wrote:

I did the 30-30-30 reset and reloaded my config file.
All issues are gone. Thank you everyone!

Message 39 of 41
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Thanks for the update @MrBillAllen and @Thefugitive87

For those who still experience the same issue after the 30-30-30 reset, please PM me. 

Message 40 of 41
LoboTommy
Luminary

So, after bugging the guys in the RBR50 thread, i was solwly piecing together the solution for the RBR20’ies.

I will here make a mix of our combined suggestions, in the order it took place, to fix it.

Big THANX AND KUDOS to @FURRYe38  and @DorkiOrbiFW  as they were very helpfull here. Meny of the setups comes from them, and a lot of this text. I have just edited this to a "guide", and freshened it up a little.

As i have three satlites and one router, this fix took about three hours all together from start until everything was ok.

Note – I chose to force all firmware back to the v44 file. You can find that here:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBR20/RBR20-V2.3.1.44.zip

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS20/RBS20-V2.3.1.44.zip

If you prefere the new v48, router will automatically help you get that, or you can download the files here:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBR20/RBR20-V2.3.1.48.zip

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS20/RBS20-V2.3.1.48.zip

**Note: Firmware do no longer auto-update since v44 cam along. Instead there is a diplaymessage telling you a new firmware are available, when you click that you are brought directly to the firmaware update section of the RBR. Update only takes place when you hit «Update Now» button, rendering update to be your choise, allthough runs automatic.**

So, my main issue was that the router and the satelites stopped communicating. They went in to a war, and looking on the LED-rings it was constant change of colors. Amber, magenta, blue and flashing white. WiFi kept dropping out, and things was a mess. So heres what must be done.

To start the process, you must factory reset everything. Find a sharp thin object to put in to the small hole next to the powerbuttun, hold it in for about 10 seconds until the little powerlight flashes. Turn off the satelite/router while holding it in. Turn It back on, still holding it in, and wait until it flashes again.

Now turn it off. Repeat this process until all your units are factory-reset and turned off.

Now, work only on your ROUTER – the RBR20.

Turn it on. Follow instructions for first time setup. DO NOT connect any satelites. Once it is up and running, log in to your router via desktop, advanced settings, administer, firmware. (There you can push the update manually to your satelites as well. We'll get back to that.) 

1. Login into your Orbi router
  2. Navigate to the “Advanced” tab
  3. Go to “Advanced Settings”
  4. Go to Wireless Settings; under the “Backhaul Topology “ section of those settings, hit the “Generate” button. Sometimes the Orbi satellites will forget the backhaul password if the router (or vice versa) is off for a long period of time. This can also happen during a power blackout, as it did for me.

If your router is at v48, and some of your satelites are v44, now is the time to roll back the router to v44. It is possible, if the satellites were behind on FW, then his maybe the reason they were not conneting. RBS have to be updated first before the RBR and be on the same version of FW or RBS can be on a more current version, while the RBR can be on a older version of FW. RBS can't be behind in FW versions from the RBR.

The page will be under Advanced tab using the management console via web under Administration --> Firmware Update

When you have the correct FW on the RBR I would disable Diasy chain on the RBR. You do that under Advanced tab using the management console via web under Advanced Setup  --> Wirless settings. Changing this option causes your RBR to reboot. Wait paitonally.

Return to same settingspage, then on the bottom of the wirless settings, enable BEAMFORMING and enable MU-MIMO.

Now you are ready to go for the RBS…

I set it up so i had all RBS infront of me during this progress.

So after getting the RBR «updated» to v44, Turn on ONE of the RBS.

In the GUI rom your computer, clik under Basic, Add Orbi Satelite. Follow instructions.

When you see the top led pulsating WHITE on the RBS, Press the sync button on the RBS, while in the same room as the RBR.

Give up to 5 minutes and you should see the top led on the RBS turn BLUE...

Typically, it flashes white, then turns magenta, I then hit sync (again) if "setup failed" message appears, and try again. With or without factory reset. Suddenly i turns blue, stays for a little while, turns back to magenta, stays like that for a few minutes, before turning blue again.

Wait until Solid Blue turns off, and the RBS goes dark.

When you get a RBS connected fully, do a address reservation for it on the RBR under Advanced tab à Setup à LAN Setup, save and apply.

You shoud now check the FW of this RBS.

The page will be under Advanced tab using the management console via web under Administration --> Firmware Update

Roll it out to the FW you want in the end result, either v44 or v48. Once updated to selected FW (wait for it to reboot and sync completely), turn the RBS off and repeat the process with your next RBS.

When you have repeated this with ALL your RBS, you can turn all the RBS on.

The system should come back for you. I would try one satellite at a time (alllthough i turned all one at the same time).

Do this untill each one is re-sync'd. Once there all done, you are set.

This is where you update with your prefered SSID and password under Basic tab --> wireless. It could also be usefull to use a WIFI scanner tool to check interference on the different channels in your neighbourhood, and select a free channel. These settings will cause your system to reboot, and you have to wait pationally again.

Finnaly, turn them off again and then go and place them in there remote locations, and turn them on yet again.

Note: during the process when trying to connect a RBS, it "connected" but in status it said "config sys", ring turns magenta. This means it talks with the RBR, and are not fully set up. Just wait and observe. Typically, it flashes white, then turns magenta, I then hit sync (again) after "setup failed" message appears, and try again. With or without factory reset. Suddenly i turns blue, stays for a little while, turns back to magenta, stays like that for a few minutes, before turning blue again.

This is the complete process for rebulding the ORBI mesh when things got jammed up on the RBR20 system.

Message 41 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7